Campfire Discussion 2023

Information about wildfires, prescribed burns, and other fire related info for the 2023 season.
Fun CH

Re: Campfire Discussion 2023

Post by Fun CH »

mister_coffee wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:23 pm Honestly backpackers made the cultural shift away from campfires in the 70s and 80s and that hasn't substantially diminished the popularity of backpacking. Car camping just needs the exact same cultural shift.
portable propane campfire devices work good, but you do have to be conscious of a shifting Flame and stay well back from it. They don't seem as hot, unless you get close,but they give the ambience.

It would definitely clean up the air in government campgrounds as well as reduce fire hazard, maybe with a steel ring to contain the flame better and those fake fireplace brickets to hold some of the radiant Heat.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Honestly backpackers made the cultural shift away from campfires in the 70s and 80s and that hasn't substantially diminished the popularity of backpacking. Car camping just needs the exact same cultural shift.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
PAL

Post by PAL »

I heard back from the FS. Falls Cr. and Camp Four are in dedicated, approved campgrounds. Fires ok. But higher restrictions may be implemented. What are they waiting for?
On another social media post, someone said people might not come if they restrict campfires. Guess what, people certainly won't come if there is a big raging fire!
Pearl Cherrington
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

PAL wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:16 pm Every year this quesiton comes up. Even though the USFS is in the county, they have their own restirctions or not. The last regulation I read was fires in approved campgrounds with fully enclosed fire rings.( some of which are only half enclosed). It is insane that they have their own regs.
We know how the 30 mile got started. I don't know if it was in a designated/approved campground, but a fire was not put out.
Sure it got a bit chilly last night. Put on more clothes or get into the bago, the sleeping bag, tent, etc.
Same as on the Colville in case having a brain fart they are a sovereign nation with their own regs and our restrictions don't necessarily apply
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

PAL wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:16 pm Every year this quesiton comes up. Even though the USFS is in the county, they have their own restirctions or not. The last regulation I read was fires in approved campgrounds with fully enclosed fire rings.( some of which are only half enclosed). It is insane that they have their own regs.
We know how the 30 mile got started. I don't know if it was in a designated/approved campground, but a fire was not put out.
Sure it got a bit chilly last night. Put on more clothes or get into the bago, the sleeping bag, tent, etc.
30 mile was not started at a designated campground, it was in fact started at a spot along the river about a mile and a half upstream from Andrews Creek Trailhead.

This also seems like a Good Time for Hanks and Thriftway to stop selling firewood...
PAL

Post by PAL »

Every year this quesiton comes up. Even though the USFS is in the county, they have their own restirctions or not. The last regulation I read was fires in approved campgrounds with fully enclosed fire rings.( some of which are only half enclosed). It is insane that they have their own regs.
Pearl Cherrington
realoldtimer

Post by realoldtimer »

pasayten wrote: ↑Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:37 pm
https://ocfd6.com/

Why doesn't this advisory mention the USFS?
Says:
"Within Okanogan County there are four entities that regulate outdoor burning. The Washington State Department of Ecology, the Washington State Department of Natural Resources, the Okanogan County Commissioners, and the municipalities."

BANS EXCEPT FOR ---
"This resolution does not apply to areas within city limits, silvicultural burning on lands regulated solely by DNR’s outdoor burning rules and regulations, fire in DNR recreation sites and campgrounds, or on U.S. Forest Service protected lands and within the Colville Reservation. The DNR, U.S. Forest Service and Colville Tribes may have similar burn restrictions/bans in effect. Some private parcels may also have DNR restrictions if it includes a DNR Fire Tax Assessment. This can be found on County tax statements."

"The Okanogan County Emergency Management webpage will be the official host page for all the burn restriction/ban information for all private property in unincorporated areas of Okanogan County."
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

This is a Okanogan County Alerts notification.

Please click here to acknowledge receipt of this message
Okanogan County will be transitioning from a Burn Restriction to a full County Wide Burn Ban, prohibiting all outdoor burning including campfires, this Friday, August 4, 2023 at 12:01 AM (midnight).

For more information visit Okanogan County Emergency Management Website at: http://www.okanogancounty.org/governmen ... /index.php

Click here for more information on this alert.
If you have any questions or if you received this notification in error, please contact Okanogan County Emergency Management em@co.okanogan.wa.us
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

In regards to camp fires I know from first hand experience certain areas of the Wenatchee/Okanogan National Forest when burn bans go into effect, burning anything that leaves an ash is prohibited regardless of where you are including developed campgrounds with designated fire rings seems that should be standard throughout the fire prone areas. In fact I had to put out a fire in a wood burning stove inside a wall tent.
Fun CH

Re: Fire - Eagle Bluff

Post by Fun CH »

just-jim wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:34 pm .
I agree, MC! Why do they need that…?

There is something elemental about fire, though…

Maybe 50 years ago I was in a group of 6 or so people - mostly sort of a disparate group - that got thrown together at the last minute. We were in a remote SE Utah canyon on a 3 or 4 day back pack trip. A cool evening, getting dark - but no need for a fire. Since we’d all come, mostly unconnected, the first nite…..we were all doing our own cooking on several liquid fuel stoves. And getting our tents/tarps set up.

One of the party….without saying anything…,walked away from the area and placed a single small candle on a flat rock and lit it as it got dark. Inside of 20 minutes we were all standing around the candle; laughing, telling stories, hugging, and sipping on some brandy someone had!

I think ‘campfire’ is in our DNA….maybe to our detriment, unfortunately.
The friendly behavior was most likely from the effects of the alcohol.

I am curious how Government run campgrounds allow activities like camp fires that are detrimental too public health and safety and exceed EPA air quality standards.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
pasayten

Campfire Discussion 2023

Post by pasayten »

Moving campfire discussion here to keep threads on topic... :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

just-jim wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:34 pm .
One of the party….without saying anything…,walked away from the area and placed a single small candle on a flat rock and lit it as it got dark. Inside of 20 minutes we were all standing around the candle; laughing, telling stories, hugging, and sipping on some brandy someone had!
I agree on the social aspects of a campfire, and have used the candle trick to good effect a few times over the years.

So on two other no $#!+ involving bizarre campfire behavior:

I observed a large 'bago in Memorial Campground some years ago. It was stifling hot in early August, and the 'bago was all closed up and the generator and air conditioning were running at full blast and high volume. But outside there was a giant campfire roaring mere feet from the RV. Every twenty minutes or so a guy would emerge from the RV and drop another armload of firewood on the fire.

During the pandemic I observed a long-term camping group at one of the undeveloped campsites along the Chewuch. They had an absolutely enormous pile of firewood, in spite of the fact that there was a total fire ban. In fact, they were hauling additional firewood to their long-term campsite (they were there from about early June until sometime in September if I recall). Never saw them having an actual fire.
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

There is something elemental about fire, though…

Maybe 50 years ago I was in a group of 6 or so people - mostly sort of a disparate group - that got thrown together at the last minute. We were in a remote SE Utah canyon on a 3 or 4 day back pack trip. A cool evening, getting dark - but no need for a fire. Since we’d all come, mostly unconnected, the first nite…..we were all doing our own cooking on several liquid fuel stoves. And getting our tents/tarps set up.

I think ‘campfire’ is in our DNA….maybe to our detriment, unfortunately.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

PAL wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:29 pm David were they in a designated campground, with proper fire rings? Seems like we always hear reports like this up the Chewuch.
Even with fire rings in designated campgrounds, fires should not be allowed. It's insanity. If any are left smoldering-do you check after they are gone?
I do up Twisp River when riding by the campgrounds. Not that it is on you or us.
They were all in designated campgrounds (Falls Creek and Camp Four) and in proper fire rings.

It doesn't mean it was safe or smart to have a fire in the conditions we are having. And it is hard for me to understand the benefit of having a decorative campfire at mid-morning when it is over 70 degrees.
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

Rideback wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:08 pm 7 pm update - 10,245 acres + the BC side.

Pretty sure the campgrounds are designated as No Campfires now, but there's always someone who thinks they can cheat.
No, unfortunately, they are not. Fires are still allowed in ‘designated’ sites (Campgrounds) and inside Wilderness Areas. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/a ... ev3_053600

It seems a little late in coming….but I’d bet that changes to a ‘no fires anywhere’ prohibition - pretty soon.
(Just my thinking….)

Oh…RAY - there is a bad link in the FB post you reposted here, earlier.
The correct Inciweb link to the Eagle Bluff fire; https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident-infor ... agle-bluff
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

7 pm update - 10,245 acres + the BC side.

Pretty sure the campgrounds are designated as No Campfires now, but there's always someone who thinks they can cheat.
PAL

Post by PAL »

David were they in a designated campground, with proper fire rings? Seems like we always hear reports like this up the Chewuch.
Even with fire rings in designated campgrounds, fires should not be allowed. It's insanity. If any are left smoldering-do you check after they are gone?
I do up Twisp River when riding by the campgrounds. Not that it is on you or us.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Campfire Discussion 2023

Post by mister_coffee »

Rideback wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:34 pm ...
Time to be extra careful not to light a fire up here in the valley.
Rode through the Chewuch this morning. People had big roaring campfires going in Falls Creek and Camp Four campgrounds at about ten am when it was pushing 70 degrees...