Review of "Dividing Paradise" posted n Methownet

PAL

Re: Review of "Dividing Paradise" posted n Methownet

Post by PAL »

Maybe we need to do this cockamanie idea. From a Seattle Times headline.

The San Juan Islands are considering a tourism fee for residents and visitors. What price would you pay for paradise? Most visitors already pay the ferry fare, and now San Juan County is looking at a new annual fee for bikes, boats and cars. Officials say they’re trying to establish “what sustainable tourism really means.” But charging people who already live there? “As a resident, I find it very offensive,” one says.
Pearl Cherrington
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

My 2 cents
FunCH mentioned negative effects of over tourism causing an increase in prices, displacement of locals and housing shortages.

Look around folks we already have those effects. Housing shortages look at the number of homes that could be available for local employees that are "reserved for nightly rentals for tourists. No I am not against those that can afford to have multiple houses making a buck but when it is at the expense of a local employee commuting 30 miles or not having a job maybe there should be tighter restrictions on allowing nightly rentals.

In regards to an increase in prices all one has to do is visit a restaurant and experience paying half again the price for half of what you get at a non tourists destination locale.

Dhop mentioned parking at trailheads being almost overwhelming. Yes trailheads can be over crowded and during the peak tourist season they often are, however, the parking in town is just as bad if not worse and business owners are constantly reminding the town Councils more parking and parking restriction need to be enforced or stricter. SORRY business owners the space is just not available without taking down some structure and making a parking lot or building a multi level parking facility so the tourists aren't inconvienced of have to walk. Is that the next solution to the "parking crisis"

One problem I see is the majority of business owners want the tourists to come and spend money, however, they in reality do not cater to the tourist that spend time in a campground. By this I mean take a look at when they are open. 10am to 5 pm most campers, unless getting their meals in local restaurants don't come to town to sight see and shop until after their evening meal, so when they do come into town the businesses are all closed for the day

Again just my 2 cents worth of observations
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:08 pm The MPD probably will not pass. But get ready for them to try something else. Maybe a regular rec district. I don't want to see any.
NO on Prop One.
I agree. It's a constant battle fighting the type of greed and that destroys good communities.

A good friend of mine says that prop 1 isn't about neighbors helping neighbors, but neighbors helping themselves to their neighbors (money, culture, good will).

One of my early mountain mentors (he's passed on now) had a bumper sticker on his truck that said;

GREED KILLS
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
PAL

Post by PAL »

The MPD probably will not pass. But get ready for them to try something else. Maybe a regular rec district. I don't want to see any.
NO on Prop One.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

As tourism continues to expand, which is one of the stated Metropolitan Park District goals, so will the number of businesses who will complete for that tourist dollar.

If you have ever been to West Yellowstone, or Gardner Montana, the number of hotel rooms continues to expand, mostly upward.

As business rents go up, other businesses that can afford higher rents will displace those who can't afford the increases.

Once the FOP, headed by Blue Bradly (Goldie) and Bo Thrasher (Butler), gets control of our tax dollars, they will have control of whatever recreational tourist facilities they choose to construct where ever they want.

That in addition to mountain guided recreation Blue and Bo's husband's control now in the North Cascades.Get ready for another full time helicopter and user day increases for North Cascade Heli-ski Corporation. Apparently breaking the law and destroying a federally listed species (now threatened White bark pine trees) pays off as the FS increased their scope and use right after their slap on the wrist for that environmental damage.

Remember it was they, along with other recreational interests that supported the Forest Service construction of the Silver Star snow park that has operated around 6 weeks since it opened 3 seasons ago.When open, it's located in an area west of a burn area avalanche path and I've seen families with children playing in the Delancy Ridge avalanche run out zones obviously unaware to the danger above.

When operational, that facility eliminates 7 miles of snowmobile recreation access along HWY20.Now that's some great Forest Service recreational planning (sarcasm).

And now the once leader of the FOP Sarah Schrock works for the Forest Service. Her husband will be the next mayor of Twisp and will have a deciding role in MPD board commissioner appointments.

It's such a tangled web.

Be careful what you wish for.

Don't Bend the Methow.

I know, I'm venting, but these are the facts
PAL

Post by PAL »

Sounds like people need to air their concerns other than on a BB or letters to the editor.
As I said before a community forum. I participated in an educational type forum in August of regarding the forest projects.
A small group of us had met for about a year discussing what we wanted to do. Then a few more people came on and it became sort of an un-official steering commitee. We decided to just go for it. Here is what we did.
We found out many people were interested in the topic. We contacted them and they contacted people. Then we looked for a moderator. Also someone to do audio visual. We rented the Community Center in Twisp. We brought in speakers, some local, some that were knowledgeble of the subject.
I don't think those that are promoting tourism or growth would be interested in this topic, but they might show up to voice an opinnion.
The moderator controlled the flow. After each presentation there was a public question and answer time. Comments were timed. Differences of opinion were expressed, but at no time did it get "rowdy".
I think many people are frustrated and feel they are not heard. Of course, what would be the outcome of such a forum? To vent, to be heard?
The Towns seem to be pro growth. But I talked to a business woman in Winthrop today and sure she wants tourists but also some restraint.
Rents on businesses are being increased because of an increase in assessements and property taxes. Can't blame them.
How many will have to shutter their businesses? The Little Dipper is closed indefinetly in Winthrop but has opened The Big Dipper in Twisp. Another business has moved to Twisp maybe because of cheaper rents and a bigger, better space.
So if anyone is serious about this, perhaps get a group of like minded people together, keeping it small to begin with. See what happens. It takes time and energy. And actually this is sort of what the FOP did. Just kept meeing and tossing out ideas.
Pearl Cherrington
dhop

Post by dhop »

I think we have reached a level of over-tourism already, and it’s only going to get worse. Parked cars over a mile long rat trailheads on the North Cascades Highway, totally full parking areas and campgrounds at Harts Pass (even during the week), and huge crowds at once little used areas like the Crater Creek trailhead are now commonplace .
FOP’s Sarah Shrock wrote a letter to the editor during the previous attempt to establish a metropolitan park district stating that such a rec district was needed because we are in competition with towns like Bend, Walla Walla and Sun Valley for tourists. The thought of the Methow becoming another Bend used to be a nightmare for locals. It seems that more and more people moving here would be happy if we became another Bend. I can’t think of any other issue that is more divisive in this valley.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Off topic posts moved to the "Kicked off the methownet BB" thread...
Started when methownet locked subject on their BB.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

I would not think that the Commercial tourist industry wants to discuss the negitive effects that over tourism has on a communty.

Effects such as one day the Methow Valley could be a Disney land like place where outside contractors are building the rides and workers are being bussed in everyday from Pateros and Okanagan to be the Amusement Ride and Park Attendants.

https://www.globalheritagetravel.com/th ... stinations.

"Some negative effects include pollution, littering, damage to historical sites, and displacement of locals. Overtourism can also lead to a rise in the prices of goods and services, as well as housing shortages. All of these factors have a negative impact on the quality of life for residents of tourist destinations."

"Do your research before travel and combat overtourism
Make sure you know what the tourism impact is for the places you want to visit. If a destination is already struggling with overtourism, consider giving it a miss. There are plenty of other amazing places to see in the world that aren’t teetering on the brink of ruin."
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

I did recently send an email to Dr.Sherman with links to this web site, the FOP webgage and their Facebook.

I thought that she might be interested in reading how what she described in her book as "class blindness" is progressing in this Valley.

I thought that requiring low income families
to help fund a $21-$30 million indoor heated 2 pool complex with hot tub, climbing wall, gym, sliding walls to give an out feel in the summer, dorm rooms for tourists, manager housing, highly paid corporate officers to run the Metropolitan Park District, and more funds for any existing and future recreational facilities would be a perfect example of that "class blindness" in our Valley's change towards an amenity and tourist driven culture.

I did receive a nice reply from Dr. Sherman where she said she would check out this issue.

My hope is that prop 1 fails like it did in 2014 and our Valley sends a message that we still value families that are struggling with our ever increasing cost of living here in Paradise Valley.
Fun CH

Review of "Dividing Paradise" posted n Methownet

Post by Fun CH »

“Dividing Paradise” Rural inequality and the diminishing American dream

“Dividing Paradise” Rural inequality and the diminishing American dream
Post by Peter Larsen » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:12 am

In Dividing Paradise, Jennifer Sherman tells the story of Paradise Valley, Washington, a rural community where amenity-driven economic growth has resulted in a new social landscape of inequity and privilege, with deep fault lines between old-timers and newcomers.
Based on in-depth interviews with individuals on both sides of the divide, this book explores the causes and repercussions of the polarization that has become commonplace across the United States. It exposes the mechanisms by which inequality flourishes and by which Americans have come to believe that disparity is acceptable and deserved. Sherman presents a powerful case study of the ever-growing tensions between those who can and those who cannot achieve their visions of the American dream .
This book was written about the Methow Valley , published in 2021 , available through the North Central Regional Library and University of California Press . WWW.UCPRESS.EDU"