Influencing politicians

Open to all the voices of the Methow Valley

Rideback

Re: Influencing politicians

Post by Rideback »

Indeed. Perhaps the difference lies in the power of Jeff Yass with his Super PAC. Note the line that it is being conveyed to members that if they vote for the Bill their ratings as a Legislator could be docked.

'As House lawmakers weighed legislation earlier this month that could amount to a ban on TikTok, the conservative political powerhouse Club for Growth had a threat for members: Vote for the bill, and we could dock your score.

The Club for Growth, buoyed by funding from major TikTok parent-company investor Jeff Yass, has become a massively influential player in contested Republican primaries, scoring lawmakers based on how they vote on certain legislation. The group has also become a key player in the fight over the Chinese-owned social media platform and efforts by Republicans to force its parent company, ByteDance, to sell, as the bill threatens Yass’ investment, which is reportedly worth up to $21 billion.'

No small threat.
mister_coffee

Re: Influencing politicians

Post by mister_coffee »

This isn't exactly unique.

The one thing that gives me pause about a TicTok ban is that there is a whole cottage industry of "influencers" and a ban would put most of them out of business.

I honestly don't understand the appeal of being an influencer but I do respect that it takes an enormous amount of hustle, a lot of work behind the scenes, and no small amount of good luck to make a living at it. It doesn't seem okay to me to add one more barrier to the success of people who are working that hard, even if (in a lot of cases) I do not understand the appeal.

The people I know who have made a go of it in this space all agree that you probably won't make it on the views and the likes alone. Usually there is some combination of channel merchandise and product referrals that make a lot of your money. Also the "business model" changes dramatically over time as various changes in the marketplace make one revenue stream less successful and a new one pops up. So you can't really put the whole operation on autopilot and just cash your checks every month.

The vast majority of the folks who work in this space crash and burn out inside of four years.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Rideback

Influencing politicians

Post by Rideback »