discussion about the future of the Methow

Fun CH

Re: discussion about the future of the Methow

Post by Fun CH »

alfrandell wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:09 am
you have become a powerful internet troll.
That was so comical that I put your comment in my signature. Thanks
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Getting a bit defensive Alf? I'm just not agreeing with your assessment of a place, my home, where you just arrived and seem to have little understanding of its history.

I've been to places in this country that have gone "bust" and the 1st thing you notice is the main business sector is mostly boarded up and out of business.

Don't confuse a place with periodic downturns in real estate sales with a place in decline. The 2008 recession was the worst downturn (caused by large investment Banks) in recent history.

Do you think all those McMansions were built yesterday? No, most have been here long before you arrived, some built by out of Valley contractors, so that's nothing new either.

You seem to think all the recent home and property sales represent someone who was forced out of the Valley. That just ain't so. A lot of property around here was bought and sold on speculation, some even by Valley residents.

This has been a real estate boom Valley for a long, long time.

The pandemic and the State cutting off our water just accelerated that trend and closed off development that could have also included more affordable housing projects and much needed jobs for the locals here.

The proposed Aspen Ski Area would have done the same thing had that gone in back in the early 80s.

You seem to also enjoy trashing this place, its community members, local businesses and organizations that are helping people with limited resources.

If you really want to stay here, perhaps lighten up a bit and maybe someone will offer you a slice of the pie that they baked through their hard work.

I wish you well on that quest.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Threads are not killed on this BB...
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Quote: "As far as the Methow valley, it was in a bust economy when i arrived." End quote.

I thought you arrived here around 6 years ago.

I moved to Okanogan County in 1979 and purchased land between Twisp and Winthrop in 1984. The Methow Valley was in transition to a tourist and vacation home economy.

Many of those folks of what I call the "first wave" of new comers came here just before the Aspen Corporation showed interest in developing a ski area at Early Winters.

Many set up construction related businesses or worked and became friends with the existing locals (anyone here before you). Others became,farmers, artists and crafts people, set up the xc ski trails, owned town businesses, reestate agents, teachers, worked in the medical field, worked for the Forest Service and any other job that supported a growing community. They raised their families here.

Many people have retired, but we're still here. Many are fairly self-sufficient and still cut their own firewood and still do some heavy work.

There were some economic slow downs during that time that matched the National economy downturns, but still more people came as the place grew.

In all that time I don't remember this place ever being what you describe as a "bust" economy.