Fire Discussion recap

mister_coffee

Re: Fire Discussion recap

Post by mister_coffee »

For all that, they did a remarkable job compared to the fires in 2014 and 2015. The emphasis on structure protection pretty much worked, with only a handful of structures lost.

Given the extremely dry, hot, and often windy conditions it was prudent to not directly engage either fire and instead try to protect structures in the path of the fires as well as is reasonably possible.

If I were to criticize their operations, I'd still say that public communications was less than impressive (though improved), early warning systems did not warn and weren't early, and elected officials mainly just got in the way and displaced hot air at public meetings.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Fun CH

Re: Fire Discussion recap

Post by Fun CH »

Pearl, no harm no foul.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
PAL

Fire Discussion recap

Post by PAL »

I think I was a bit harsh in my judgement of how the Cedar Cr. fire is being managed. What I am seeing is that they did a good job in getting this fire or attempting to get this fire to calm down and get it where they could fight it better. We went over to a ridge above Newby Cr. yesterday and could see where the fire is now on the Little Bridge Cr. side. Up by Sheep Cr. and it looked like it was staying on the ground despite the wind. White smoke and not alot of it. A fair amount of air support and alot of people on the ground. When I am able to go up Little Bridge Cr. this fall, I hope to see a good thinning and logging job done. And hopefully restoration this fall or in the spring. By restoration, I mean cleaning up and smoothing out those dozer lines.
Just viewed a great video of a helicopter flying in the Highway 20 corridor. Sure there are some burned areas, but not all is incinerated.
One thing we have to remember is that we are here, living with fire, now in this time span. Before we came to this part of the earth, there were fires, we just weren't around to see them.
I did read an article that the FS policy was to let these fires burn, but the Gov. of California wants to change that back to stopping them in their tracks before they become monsters. Mainly during this time of severe drought. So that policy may change.
Are controlled burns the answer? That can work, but it seems there is such a small window of time, to get that accomplished.
My thoughts on an early Sat. morning.
Pearl
Pearl Cherrington