Fact Checking the Methownet BB

Fun CH

Re: Fact Checking the Methownet BB

Post by Fun CH »

The Claim:

Alf: The library is a library. Lynette is absolutely correct in her articulate response to you. I was President of the City of Everett Library Board for four years. We remodeled our original Carnegie library and built a new branch library. The original library is near the High School and in a lower middle class neighborhood. As Lynette pointed out, children would come there after school to study, read or use computers, while they waited for their parent(s) to come home. When FOWL started the effort to build a new library, they asked me to speak with them and I have followed their efforts throughout. They have creatively raised substantial funding from multiple sources, many of which (as Lynette pointed out) are from within the valley from all income levels. I will also point out that the recent "Methow Cares" donation drive raised record donations from within the valley. The Winthrop Town Council just recognized low income housing as a serious issue and the Konrads are asking Twisp to annex property that they own so that they can help build affordable housing. You are entitled to your views, however I see it differently. In my view, the residents in this valley are concerned about the housing issue and other significant social issues. In addition, there are organizations such as: The Cove, Manger Mall, Room One, Kiwanis etc that are committed to easing the pain and solving problems in this community for lower income people. I for one grow weary of your postings that I find to be negative, narcissistic and sometimes incoherent. If this valley is so oppressive, I would remind you that you are free to live anywhere you want. Bruce Herron Wolf Creek
Bruce Herron Wolf Creek

The facts: Well stated Bruce. The Methow Community in action.

Just one of the many benefits.

"For people experiencing homelessness, libraries provide relief during times of extreme weather, a place to relax, connect and receive supports. Libraries can function as enriched spaces by offering opportunities to spend the day unnoticed by others, and legitimating their presence in prime rather than marginal spaces.Feb 19, 2020"

Strengthening Communities: The Role of the Public Library as a Site ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... mPvwwhb8a-
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:27 pm Chris, look at the Methow Valley News for Judge Rawson's judgement about the 235 people that are/were in a holding pattern. He ruled in their favor.
Pearl
thanks Pearl I'll check it out. Hopefully that decision will allow for reopening the closed basin's to home building. There are 20+ acre parcels in the closed basins that where legally subdived way before that 2002 water issue court case.

Limited use special wells were allowed back then. I'm fine with that as its a good water conservation measure that should apply to all new wells in the Methow.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Chris, look at the Methow Valley News for Judge Rawson's judgement about the 235 people that are/were in a holding pattern. He ruled in their favor.
Pearl
Pearl Cherrington
PAL

Post by PAL »

Shortages were being talked about before the pandemic and then the pandemic hit, hence shortages.
Is the DOT hiring? Or are they just going to let these shortages continue? I've tried to find out.
Subject for a different post. Should we learn to get by on less? We have so much. Less of everything. Things, things.
The standard answer is if there is no growth, there goes the economy.
It may go anyway.
Is what we're seeing a collapsing?
A changed world.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

As noted in one of my previous posts quoting a Fox news story, the WSDOT has acknowledged that the vaccine mandate and the consequences for not getting vaccinated is a contributing factor that is limiting currently available resources. However the WSDOT resources have alway been limited.

The WSDOT has also detailed what the impact will be for drivers so those drivers can decide what risks they are willing to take when heading over the passes this winter season.

But yea, it was kind of a lame statement saying that HWY20 was being closing so we can plan ahead. However it did close yesterday because of avalanche risk. I can attest to that having personally observed the current Snowpack at almost 7,000 feet.

The entire Blue peak cornice collapsed yesterday and with the upcoming warm weather and likely high altitude rain those avy paths are likely to run down to the hwy.

I have written letters to the Regional headquarters in the past expressing the need for better communication and reiterating the importance of the highway to the local community.

They know all that and as it should be safety comes first.

From experience I remember skiing during the spring in the North facing Blue peak basin. Just as we were reaching the Ridge below the South Early Winters climb, Howitzer shells started to land directly on the other side of the ridge as the State crews were doing their avalanche control work. The ground was shaking and we were glad the gun crews aim was good because one high shot and we were toast.

I remember riding my bike to go skiing at the hairpin. From the hairpin I watched as a helicopter appeared and started dropping explosives on the Cutthroat slide path start zones triggering large avys.

Fast forward to today and the public is not even allowed up their while State crews are working.

Lesson learned. Safety first.

But these issues with the vaccine run deeper and State essential workers have no doubt been mistreated.

Same as the State has taken water away from some of us who were stupid enough to invest life savings in and to help build our communitiy. Investments which also help to generate tax Revenue for the State as well as the construction industry being a major economic driver.

It's no wonder why so many mistrust Government with just those two examples. But there are so many, many more historical examples that cost people their livelihood and some their very lives both here and abroad from misplaced trust.

Kind of a catch 22 were the State uses and abuses its citizens and then says here's a safe and effective new vaccine technology.

Swallow it or else.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"--The Who

"Resistance is futile"--The Borg ;)
Last edited by Fun CH on Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Chris, I know the standard “money” response that all government entities use to explain all issues (I have worked for a medium size city 24 years). I have also noticed a distinct change in management of that pass over the past 5 years or so, preemptive closing for storms predicted (and often fizzle or drop far less than stated) and slow re-opening. I suppose we have such poor drivers with so little common sense who also want to blame/sue others for their dumb choices that some of these decisions are necessary (I don’t think you can fix stupid with any rules). And I too actually like the slow down that closure brings but so many rely on the traffic for livelihood and many really use the convenience to conduct business.

This year though is quite different and I believe obviously so (just using ‘convenient’ excuses typical for inept bureaucracy). The sudden decision to have a set date for the flimsy reasoning of “planning” (and then not even making it that far) after sending away over 300 good people from DOT statewide is just too transparent not to point out.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

dorankj wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:26 pm “There are none so blind as those who will (themselves) not see” John Haywood. WHY are there “limited resources”?
money. As you know the hyw closes every year due to avalanche hazard.

With unlimited money snow sheds could be built, permanent snow blowers could be stationed here in a new WSDOT facility, explosives could be used to control avalanches and the hwy could be open all year round.

Personally I prefer it to be closed. Not into the Disneyland experience year round.

Ken, did you know I was fired from State employment because I would not change a report that reflected poorly on the job we were doing.

It was easier to fire me then to acknowledge that our agency was doing a poor job and take the steps needed to better serve the community. After I was fired, I'm guessing my report saw the bottom of a trash can.

Sometimes you have to draw a line on what principles you value and are willing to uphold. But you have to be willing to accept the consequences when you draw that line.

The State requires team players and that wasn't me.
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

“There are none so blind as those who will (themselves) not see” John Haywood. WHY are there “limited resources”?
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

mister_coffee wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:16 pm That thread was pulled.
yes pulled

How does a simple informative thread about the pass closing for season turn into intimidation?

Oh yea, twisting facts to serve a political agenda.

Washington Pass closed because the WSDOT promotes and values public safety.

It's also the reason why they close the road to the Silver Star gate parking lot, now a Snowpark, as the snow piles up beyond what a plow can handle. And so more resources would be required, such as bringing in heavy equipment, to keep it open.

Limited resources are needed to help keep higher priority roads safe, like the ones that are used to transport children to school.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

That thread was pulled.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
PAL

Post by PAL »

Thanks Chris for this. What I am questioning, is the DOT hiring for new people? They say they already had staffing shortages and with the mandate now have more. Is this a budgetary thing? It takes time to train drivers I'm sure, but these are good jobs. The one article says they are hiring for troopers.
I get tired of hearing over and over, we are short staffed. Well, do something about it!
In the Valley some of the restaurants are having to close because of short staff and we know it's not because of the virus, here. No place to live and business is going to slow way down. This happens every year here.
Today's closing of the pass, as I understand it, is because of avvy danger and I am glad they are taking precautions.
I went off subject, as this is about fact checking. Keep up the good work.
Pearl
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

The claim:

"Post by Gonzo'57 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:52 pm

“New in 2021: A planned closure date. In the past, the seasonal closure date has been assessed on a case-by-case basis. While there is a chance the highway may close earlier than Nov. 15, WSDOT is setting a closure date this year to allow travelers to plan ahead with more certainty.”

What a load of crap. Here's the REAL reason WADOT has said HWY. 20 will be closed before conditions warrant:

WADOT is down 300 employees due to Gov. (Gavin Newsome Jr., Posturing for his next presidential bid, Freudian excitement at projecting his power) Inslee's Covid vaccination mandate. WADOT simply does not have the manpower to keep the passes clear in case of a major snow fall, and HWY. 20 ranks low on the essential list. Wake up people.
John Okoneski - Wenatchee/Mazama"

The Facts:
"Citing staff shortages due to retirement, the pandemic and other factors, crews will be shifting priorities for plowing and road closures.

In October, 5.9% of WSDOT staff left the agency due to the state vaccine mandate, which impacted already-low winter operations numbers, WSDOT reported.

"Safety is always our top priority – for those of you traveling and our employees. Our dedicated crews will absolutely still be out on the roadways, plowing during and after storms as well as preparing and, in some cases, pre-treating roadways before storms," WSDOT said.

WSDOT said it will prioritize work based on safety, resources and pre-existing plowing priority maps based on volume and/or critical roads.

WSDOT says this what drivers can expect:

Some roads and passes will be closed longer than normal during and after significant storms.
Some roads will not get the same level or service, may be only plowed minimally or will have snow and ice on the roadway for longer periods of time.
Some areas may not be staffed 24/7.
Especially during large storms or long-lasting ones, we won't have a deep enough "bench" of staff to respond 24/7 for several days throughout the storm.
Some lanes of the freeway system may have snow and ice while crews focus on keeping just one or two lanes open.
Lower speed limits in areas with variable speed limits.
There may be slower responses to crashes and other emergencies, and it may take longer to clear major crashes or slide-offs.
Less attention to secondary routes and recreation areas as crews focus on higher priority roadways."

Source:

https://www.q13fox.com/news/wsdot-staff ... his-winter

And this quote which addresses the the "human factor" behind the WSDOT staffing shortage; i.e.

vaccine misinformation

"The Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE), the largest state employee union, also raised concerns about staffing levels and the way the vaccine mandate was implemented.

“To have additional vacancies created only exacerbates that staffing concern,” said Leanne Kunze, WFSE’s executive director.

But Kunze also said she was concerned about the resistance on the part of some of her members to get vaccinated.

“So many of them have been exposed to so much misinformation. And sadly, the propaganda that’s out there about vaccines is deadly,” Kunze said."

Source:
https://www.opb.org/article/2021/10/21/ ... utType=amp

Commentary:

Of course we now know that WSDOT had the staff to keep hwy 20 open until tomorrow when it will close due to safety concerns of avalanche risk, just as it always does around this time of year.

I couldn't find the number of Wa. State employees who have already died from Covid 19, however the vaccine mandate will make it more likely that number will not increase.

And that's a good thing.

The question we users of the State hwy system have to ask is;

Is it worth our short term inconvenience to help avoid the risk of death of more State employees or their family members from Covid 19?
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Good on you, Pearl!

I have similar questions. And I wonder about how the argument has became so asymmetric. It isn't like there is sober scientific observations coming from both sides. And it isn't even like there are goofy junk science inanities coming from both sides.

I do not hear any specific technical and scientific issues with the vaccines, what I hear and observe is "the vaccine changes my DNA", or "the vaccine makes me sterile", or "the vaccine has tentacle creatures and microchips in it". The list of inanities is seemingly endless.

On the other side, I've never heard the pro-vaccine side make ludicrous and vacuous claims about the vaccine, such that it will give the recipients super-powers or immortality, or even make them more attractive to whatever gender they are interested in attracting.
PAL

Post by PAL »

I am so excited. I am getting my 3rd dose of nano particles and DNA changing vaccine next Monday. Sock it to me.
You know, here's a thought. There is much hand wringing from people against the vaccine, I've noticed. They are worried about it and also about we who are getting the vaccine. I would think they would want us to all drop dead from the shot and when 5G is up and running. We would be out of their way to continue their mythical agenda.
I've been thinking alot about divisiveness and how to resolve that. It's for another post. But can people have different opinions and thoughts without it being divisive? In this case we think they are putting forth false info and they think we are. But I think we are going with the Majority of scientists and doctors that are saying the vaccine is fine to take and that the virus is not a hoax. The small minority say they have been censored. So, a minority, that has "creds" can make videos of their conclusions but I am not going to believe them.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

That thread got deleted. They are on the ball this morning...
PAL

Post by PAL »

Thanks Chris for posting the fact checks. I am liking your posts that state, "The Claim" and then the supporting evidence that it is incorrect info.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

The Claim: This post was in responce to an opinion piece that was published in Newsweek titled "How Fauci Fooled America" and posted verbatim on MNBB.

Post by maremare » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:47 am

"Bio-hysteria
So what if some one is not on the same page as the mainstream narrative?
This "All inclusiveness" that some would spout in these parts does not count if you don't happen to watch the FAKE NEWS! LOL ! Go ahead and be left far behind if you do not look deeper into this current situation and haven't acknowledged that there is something more to the COVID scamdemic by now. You want to assume I am a "right winger" or what ever you are "Labeling" those that do not agree with the mainstream BS? Sorry I won't be running around ashamed of speaking truth to the FACT that it is now well know All over the world that the whole thing has NOTHING to do with your health, or that millions are suffering debilitating side effects and death as well as contracting COVID, blood clots, paralysis etc. from ALL VERSIONS OF the innoculation!? (falsely labled a "vaccine" to sound safe and normal.) Do not turn your head away from the insidious Lie that is the Pandemic! Open your browser & in five seconds you can find information put out by millions of doctors world wide who will tell you what they are finding, in the inoculations, what they are finding in blood of autopsied inoculated individuals, how they cure people with over the counter, readily available safe medications, you will see people posting their struggle and remorse after receiving the experimental never fully tested Bio weapons. If you got your Inoculation and your happy clap your hands! However I would sooner take a bullet to my head than to put that toxic pus into my body,and there is a Diverse, intelligent
multitude of humans that feel the same way.
MNemeth"

The Facts: Those claims are fact checked here.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-fact ... SKBN28S2DX

"Tackling false COVID-19 claims in 30-minute doctor compilation video"

And here is an article concerning a rare side effect of the J&J vaccine that has killed 4 people including a Wa. State women. Certainly something to be aware of.

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19 ... blood-clot

"Washington Woman Died After Rare Vaccine-Related Blood Clot

Oct. 7, 2021 -- A Washington state woman died from a rare blood clotting syndrome after receiving the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine, state health officials said.

The woman, who was in her late 30s and a resident of King County, was the first person in the state to die from a vaccine-related blood clot. She received the shot on Aug. 26 and died more than a week later on Sept. 7.

“We send our deepest condolences to her family and loved ones,” Umair Shah, MD, the state health secretary, said in a statement. “Losing a loved one at any time is a tragic and difficult pain that’s become all too familiar in the last year and half of this pandemic.”

The cause of death stemmed from thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome, or TTS, city and county health officials said Tuesday. The syndrome is a rare but serious condition that causes blood clots with low platelets. It has been identified as a rare complication associated with the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine, with symptoms occurring 2 two weeks after vaccination.

The CDC’s Clinical Immunization Safety Assessment Project confirmed the woman’s diagnosis, Seattle and King County health officials said. The CDC has reported three other deaths nationwide from the vaccine-related syndrome.

In April, the CDC paused its authorization of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine to study the risks of rare blood clotting complications. Later that month, the CDC lifted the pause after determining that the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risks. The Moderna and Pfizer COVID-19 vaccines have not been associated with this condition.

The vaccine complication is rare, occurring in about 7 per 1 million vaccinated women ages 18-49, according to the CDC. For women over age 50 and men of all ages, the complication is even rarer.

Among the 15 million people who have received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, the CDC has identified 47 cases of the syndrome. The majority have recovered.

The CDC advises patients to seek medical attention after vaccination if they have symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest pain, leg swelling, belly pain, severe headaches, easy bruising, or tiny blood spots under the skin."
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

^Alf,I have no idea what you just posted.

I've blocked your posts for now as they are just too toxic for me to read.

Peace out and Chill
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

You clearly can't see how you have attacked, insulted or ratted out (by your own admission)just about everyone in this Valley then as Ken says (hurt knee analogy), play the victim when challenged. These are facts supported by your own words. If you'd like I could get the quotes for you.

Here is an example.

When you say,
alfrandell wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:02 am this is a game for you
Or
alfrandell wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:50 pm this is chris's thread for making fun of one person after another.
You are questioning my motives, which you can't possibly know, and directly stating that I'm making fun of people. That falls under the category of ad hominem attack.

ad ho·mi·nem
/ˌad ˈhämənəm/
adjective
(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
"vicious ad hominem attacks"

Please, block my posts again Alf.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

alfrandell wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:06 am ken uses that some one.
it is thought that insulting someone with famous words somehow makes it OK.
But, insults are allowed on this board, so soldier on.
you do not like it when i block you, so i am wondering why you can not control this tendency to lash out. using quotes from twain or trump or whomever does not confuse me at all.

i complained to the owner when the attacks became childish.
[the poopie emoji was used]
and, it was the first time that the owner commented on the quality of your efforts here.

It is not fun to attack me.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.

Mark Twain"
alfrandell wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:50 pm oooops,
sorry,
this is chris's thread for making fun of one person after another.
we should not be draggin it off to the side.
how do you not see that this (your words) is a personal attack?

I responded in kind, just as Ken did when you attacked him, with that same Twain quote.

Do you not also see your constant personal attacks on Ken?

Maybe this will help.

"ad hominem, refers to several types of arguments, some but not all of which are fallacious. Typically this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself."
Attachments
download.png
download.png (9.11 KiB) Viewed 4773 times
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

:D k
alfrandell wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:50 pm oooops,
sorry,
this is chris's thread for making fun of one person after another.
we should not be draggin it off to the side.
Mark Twain ~ "Better to remain silent & thought a fool than to open one's mouth & remove all doubt."
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

"She turned me into a newt!"

"A newt?"

"It got better."
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

The whole thing about anti-vaxx misinformation reminds me of this famous Monty Python scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_l5ntikaU
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Post is still there... I responded...

Gonzo'57 wrote:
> mnRNA alters your DNA. Read the science. And the folks advocating for the
> vaccines and disparaging those of us who WILL NOT get the jab are the same
> folks that decried GMO wheat being used in their Corn Flakes. Follow the
> science.

Sorry John... You must be reading fiction or fake news articles... Not real science articles... BTW, is mRNA...

Will a COVID-19 vaccine alter my DNA?

No. COVID-19 vaccines do not change or interact with your DNA in any way. Both mRNA and viral vector COVID-19 vaccines deliver instructions (genetic material) to our cells to start building protection against the virus that causes COVID-19. However, the material never enters the nucleus of the cell, which is where our DNA is kept.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... facts.html
Ray Peterson - Winthrop
pasayten@yahoo.com
pasayten
Ray Peterson
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

There was a thread (now deleted) where gonzo57 claimed that "mnRNA vaccines damage your DNA" or some such nonsense.

Fun fact: mRNA vaccines do not and can not alter your DNA. But viruses do so all the time. You have trillions of viruses sloshing around your body at any given time. It is nearly certain that at any given time somewhere in your body some of those viruses are altering the DNA of some of your cells. Oh, the horror! About 8 percent of the human genome's DNA (meaning your DNA) is from viruses. Ick.

Uncivilized savages from the dark heart of Africa and the marches of central Asia (and apparently from the Apple Capital of the World and the Buckle in the Power Belt of Washington) believe idiotic things, such as that lifesaving medicine alters your DNA. I'm more impressed with stupid theories about COVID vaccines (e.g. that there are tentacle creatures in the vaccines). While still wrong, they are at least entertaining. If you are going to kill so many people and rip apart my society, at least have the courtesy to not bore me to death at the same time.

Correction: this thread has not (yet!) been deleted.