Heater works when driving but not when parked...

PAL

Re: Heater works when driving but not when parked...

Post by PAL »

I will. I can cut and paste but leave out the part about the other BB. Will do it right now.
Pearl
Did it.
Pearl Cherrington
Gonzo'57

Heater works when driving but not when parked...

Post by Gonzo'57 »

This was posted on the other BB by Carpenter2:

Thermostat stuck open?
Temperature gauge reads normal.
Toyota 4 cylinder 22re with very basic heating system...
Any clues appreciated...

Carpenter2 added in a later post that he can here water sloshing thru the heater core when he accelerates.

Some folks offered ideas but not the correct one. I believe his coolant system is low on fluids. HIs temp. gauge reads "normal" because of the outside temperatures. If it was summertime his temp would read high. When the car is idling there is not enough fluid in the radiator for the lowered RPMs of the water pump to push the fluid thru the cooling system. The fluid level in the cooling system is too low to keep the heater core filled with hot fluid. When the RPMs pick up at driving speeds the water pump can then push the fluid thru the cooling system because it imparts more energy to the fluid due to higher RPMs. As the fluid hits the empty heater core it makes a sloshing sound as it moves thru the core. Seen it a hundred times.

Will someone that hasn't pissed off the censors on the other BB please respond to Carpenter2 before he spends money trying to fix this problem.

Thank you.