PAL

Re: Amenity Migrants

Post by PAL »

Another one.
Pearl Cherrington
Chitta

Post by Chitta »

Inflation does not bother trust fund valley, they tell each other to vote for it. Burning endless gallons of diesel pushing the snow down a bit so people can play is a wonderful way to "care" for nature! If I were that much of an ill informed hypocrite, I too would jump on my knees for life in LCD valley and cover my face with democrap shame, shame!
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Rideback wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:44 am I got a text this morning that read: Hi, I'm looking to buy property/home in Winthrop would you be interested in selling? It was obviously a blanket coverage of cell phones in the valley and from someone looking to relocate, the number had a (425) area code.
I get letters all the time with offers to buy my property for $5,000 to $10,000.

Flippers out fishing for people falling on hard times and needing money.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Although this quote from the article is troubling.

""I can’t imagine going to next September and having to move during the crazy summer season,” she said. As for buying? “I’m crossing my fingers the market crashes,”"

For those of us who built this place, and you came, we're getting older and many of us have retired, facing age related medical expenses, increasing property taxes and increasing living expenses.

We dont desire to go back to living in a 12x48 foot trailer on a rental property (we did that for 12 years) and worked very hard to build our home as well as homes for others.

Again, selling our home for a good price will hopefully allow us to be able to afford care when its most needed.

I don't wish for that "crash" to occur just so that person in the article can afford to live here and reap the fruits of our labor sometime down the road.

If it were possible, I'd trade what I own for her youth any day. Perhaps she doesn't see her wealth?
Last edited by Fun CH on Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

I got a text this morning that read: Hi, I'm looking to buy property/home in Winthrop would you be interested in selling? It was obviously a blanket coverage of cell phones in the valley and from someone looking to relocate, the number had a (425) area code.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:06 pm Seattle Times has an article about the housing crisis here in the Methow. The Methow Valley is mentioned in the heading. It talks about organizations that are trying to provide housing. Rentals too.
Will try to send the whole article later. Catching up after the net was down.
thanks for that info.
Here's the link.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/outdo ... -the-mold/

"Mountain towns across the West are buffeted by the macroeconomic trends that have led to a savage housing market with existential implications: Is a place still a mountain town if residents whose livelihoods are tied to the mountains can no longer afford to live there? The close-knit Methow Valley thinks it can buck the trend and is leaning on its wildfire-recovery mentality to tackle this latest challenge.

“We aspire to be the mountain town that gets it right,” said Jason Paulsen, executive director of environmental nonprofit Methow Conservancy. “We’re going to continue to envision the best future we can and then work like heck to figure out how to get there.”"
PAL

Post by PAL »

Seattle Times has an article about the housing crisis here in the Methow. The Methow Valley is mentioned in the heading. It talks about organizations that are trying to provide housing. Rentals too.
Will try to send the whole article later. Catching up after the net was down.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:12 pm Right on! Thanks for those words. There is another "sensitive" issue coming to the fore. It is a different topic but does concern an amity that may be being abused. Stay tuned.
Pearl
any hints? Perhaps on a new thread?

The other benefit to increased property values is that construction workers here can now make a decent wage.

I once built a house back in the late 80's for $12 an hour. Now a carpenter can make $35.

We used to like to say back then I have a $12 an hour speed and I have a $22 an hour speed.

But my favorite line from a contractor who built high end houses, which he even had printed on his business card;

" we'll get it right no matter what it costs you"
PAL

Post by PAL »

Right on! Thanks for those words. There is another "sensitive" issue coming to the fore. It is a different topic but does concern an amity that may be being abused. Stay tuned.
Pearl
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

The biggest positive benefits to having owned a home here in the Methow since 1985, is that with prices skyrocketing, we will be able to sell our home to pay for assisted living or nursing care later. Hopefully way later.

If you've read my posts in the past, I live by the principle that was the Methow vibe when a few locals invited me to move here.

All are welcome. But please don't try to raise our property taxes on things such as creating a Recreation District or desiring even more amenities.

Nature is the amenity here, not Disneyland, so don't try and create that here. If you need a water slide ride there's one down in Lake Chelan.

Policies such as that only lead to rural gentrification and forces people out who can't afford to pay ever-increasing taxes.

Some of those people may have worked on the home that you are currently living in.

Keep the North Cascades
Wild.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Quote from article:

"And the industrial nature of mining towns, regardless of how lovely the surroundings, tend to be a turn-off for amenity migrants. So housing stayed relatively affordable." End quote

Perhaps we need a big copper mine. Joking of course. We'll just continue to import copper and other mining products from other countries and assorted 3rd world places.

Let them suffer the adverse Environmental consequences for our consumptive lifestyles such as that dream second home in Mazama that gets used several weeks a year..

Its the American way now.

Oh, maybe I'm not joking.
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Good read... Thank You... :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Amenity Migrants

Post by Fun CH »

Saw a cartoon with that phase in the MVN and had to look it up. The article quote below explains it. Like anything there are certainly benefits and losses and yes, this is happening here.

We built it and they came and now there are "no trailer signs" sprinkled about the valley in public places.

https://www.hcn.org/articles/west-housi ... ocal-labor

"How 'amenity migrants' push out locals

Communities once sustained by local labor now rely on stock market dividends.
Jonathan Thompson

$890,000.

60 percent.

These figures came from a panel titled, not so subtly, The Problem of Amenity Migrants in North America, at the Rocky Mountain Land Use Institute conference in Denver in March. The numbers respectively refer to the average price of a single-family home in Summit County in north-central Colorado, and the percentage of those homes that are second homes and thus vacant much of the year.

So what’s the problem? Second-home-buying “amenity migrants” — those who move to a place because of the proximity to recreational opportunities — have driven up prices so much that no one else can afford to either buy or rent homes in these places. Usually these migrants, also known as “equity refugees,” rely on outside sources of income, either cash from selling out in another market, investment earnings or salaries from work in another community, to buy into the community. The communities’ actual workers — firefighters, cops, teachers, cooks and housekeepers — are left with a commute from as far away as Denver or Leadville (both over an hour's drive), a smattering of “workforce housing,” which isn’t exactly affordable, or living in their cars in the Wal-Mart parking lot."