Makes me wonder

mister_coffee

Re: Makes me wonder

Post by mister_coffee »

Let's be real here. Jingles never read 1984.

Also, non-citizens have been voting and holding office in some jurisdictions since the founding.

https://scholarship.law.umn.edu/cgi/vie ... xt=lawineq

I quote from the above:
It also has been established that unnaturalized immigrants voted and held local office throughout the colonies, including in Maryland as early as 1692,17 South Carolina in 1704,18 Pennsylvania as of 174719 and the Northwest Territory under The
Ordinance of 1787.20 States and territories originally part of the Northwest Territory also continued to allow alien suffrage,21
although the territories only elected officials within their jurisdiction and non-voting delegates to Congress; they did not
elect federal legislators or executive officers.
Generally, however, the line between national and state
citizenship during the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries was not clearly demarcated, so those states which permitted noncitizen voting allowed it at all levels, local to national.23 State citizenship, not national, was the dominant identity, to the point that several states granted foreigners state citizenship after the Revolution.24 It took nearly "three decades to settle the exclusivity of the federal power to naturalize to national citizenship," though
even then the possibility of a distinct state citizenship was not
25 negated.
Yeah, and inconvenient facts are irrelevant if you have no facts in your head in the first place. Part of being a good conservative is knowing your history. Unfortunately we have a lot of really bad conservatives here on this board.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Sorry Jim but she has been in the US for 5 years plenty of time to become a Citizen and have representation
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

Let’s see….

It’s an appointed, not elected, position.

Presumably she lives there and pays taxes there, so she has a vested interest in what they do.

Doesn’t seem too far a stretch for me. There are 14 million - legal - resident non-citizens in the US, 12 million of whom are here ‘permanently’, meaning they can stay indefinitely. I think they deserve some representation?

When my wife lived in the UK, where she paid considerable tax, she was allowed - even as a non-citizen - to vote in local, but not National, elections. I don’t know whether or not she could’ve held an elective or appointed office or not.

“No taxation without representation”, right?
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

Link?
Pearl Cherrington
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

San Francisco elected Chinese non citizen to election board
PAL

Post by PAL »

Can you be more specific?
Pearl Cherrington
Jingles

Makes me wonder

Post by Jingles »

Things going on in Democrat run states and cities makes me wonder if the Democrats realize the book 1984 was fiction and NOT an instruction manual.
Electing non citizens to a towns election board, apparently some people's minds have turn to complete mush, but hey what does it matter as long as they keep control, screw everyone that doesn't agree