It's all yours Alf

Fun CH

Re: North Cascades Highway to close for the season on Wednesday due to avalanche risk and near miss Avy report

Post by Fun CH »

alfrandell wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:58 am bam!
hashahahahah
i leave your past in your past chris.
do you imagine that i would have trouble researching your past and finding the best dirt?
i am a pro researcher.
i have the math and science training to understand what statistics mean.
I am totally able to slant and attack.
you do not want to see that.

after being banned from one board, and blocked by members of another, one would imagine that you would be forced to let off on the attacks.

nope, not you!
ok, that's out there including a threat. Yes, we know you are capable of launching internet attacks as witnessed many times against many targets.

But are you a physical danger to the Methow community? Or are you a harmless old curmudgeon?
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
Fun CH

Re: North Cascades Highway to close for the season on Wednesday due to avalanche risk and near miss Avy report

Post by Fun CH »

alfrandell wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:46 am ouch!
you got me!
another cut and paste injury!
its really quite a shame that you choose antagonism over sharing the knowledge that you have gained through your years of climbing mountains.

I'm not talking about the stuff you think you know, like when you predicted 4,000 deaths per day from Covid 19 this winter. That's just fear mongering based on nothing.

I'm taking your personal experiences and the lessons you learned, not you posing as an expert because you read a book.

You could have contributed greatly to the conversation about risk, but you choose a different path.

If that's that path you choose, OK, but could you leave me the hell out of your internet agenda of detestation of our Methow Community?
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

alfrandell wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:22 am is this your 'thing' for this winter?
what are you trying to do or prove?
that you should be allowed out, but just you?
That only you can properly gauge risk?
does awesome cut and paste give you that ability as well?
Ah, that's what I thought, you're agenda is just you're usual sh.t show.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Post moved
Last edited by Fun CH on Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

alfrandell wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:51 pm for my friends in telluride, back in the day, it seemed more like russian roulette.
even the best folks were buried.
maybe especially the best folks.
If they had no transceiver or string, toast.
as usual, posts here have to have an agenda.
like: inexperienced snow users are dying and ruining it for experienced users.
or, the pass is closing because too many workers were fired.

some events just happen.

Quote: "inexperienced snow users are dying and ruining it for experienced users."end quote

Where did you read that on this thread? What's your agenda?

Mine is mountain safety.

Clearly I stated:

"The mountains don't care what credentials or experience you think you might have."

That statement is aimed at all levels of experience including commercial guides.

And this one:

"But I have made my share of mountain mistakes when desire has won over rational decision making. Human factors."

I'd be considered "experienced" having been BC skiing here since 1981 with 3000+ BC ski tours sometimes climbing 235,000 vertical feet a year and countless side country tours off piste at lift assisted ski areas.

But I don't like to wear that moniker.

Like I say the mountains don't care about that. Do you?
Last edited by Fun CH on Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Post moved
Last edited by Fun CH on Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Post moved
Last edited by Fun CH on Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAL

Post by PAL »

So Chris, how do you know? I would think you go, then see the conditions and do some weighing of the options. Do you go when it is deemed "considerable"? I am just wondering how you personally determine when it's safe. I get the feeling you are very careful. Of course, you know the risks involved.
The snows we are getting now are hopefully building a great sno pack for the season.
And here is a thought. I had a friend one year, driving up Balky Hill one night. On the steeper part of the road there is a hillside on the left and before she knew it, it avalanched down and partially buried her car. She had to climb out a window to go get help down below. She was quite freaked.
Happens in Elbow Coulee sometimes in a spot before the old rock quarries.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Post moved
Last edited by Fun CH on Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

To some extent we have it easier in the Cascades than in non-maritime ranges like the Rockies and the Alaska Range. Most of the time here the avalanche hazard is either insanely high or pretty low. There are a lot fewer ambiguous situations than you might see in Banff or Denali. We also have the advantage that most of our snowpack comes during a few relatively large storms.

You can and should do a lot of hazard evaluation before you even leave your house.

If average or maximum temperatures have recently significantly increased (like the last few days), you aren't going to have much fun backcountry skiing today. If a big storm is putting a lot of precipitation down (either rain or snow) you also aren't going to have a lot of fun on the ski. You also need to watch out for that period in the spring when minimum temperatures first stay above freezing.

On the other hand, melt-freeze cycles can produce very strong and very safe snowpacks. Also, sometimes the very best and safest skiing can happen after a warm front passes through with high freezing levels that gradually cools off and leaves a few inches of new snow well-bonded to the well and fully refrozen snowpack. Optimum karma like that occurs only infrequently, though.

The words you want to see in the avalanche hazard reports here is "isothermal snowpack".
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
PAL

Post by PAL »

Right. We hear about experienced people losing their lives. Besides testing the snow conditions, reading reports and observations, do you also go by what your gut may tell you? Or is it your gut, or that something just doesn't seem right, that you would say, no, not today?
I don't go up the highway anymore to just ski up it, like I did long ago. Well, way more people. But I have respect for what the mountains can do.
Even little slopes, around our place, there have been times I wanted to get off it, when I was in the middle of it. Chance of avalanche was probably quite small, but I still can get the heebie jeebies.
Have fun out there. Looks like the snow is coming in.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Post moved
Last edited by Fun CH on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAL

Post by PAL »

OMG! He was so lucky. Is he inexperienced? Great shot.
Pearl
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Re: North Cascades Highway to close due to avalanche risk, Avy observation,

Post by Fun CH »

Post moved
Last edited by Fun CH on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fun CH

Re: North Cascades Highway to close for the season on Wednesday due to avalanche risk

Post by Fun CH »

Post moved
Last edited by Fun CH on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fun CH

Re: North Cascades Highway to close for the season on Wednesday due to avalanche risk

Post by Fun CH »

Last edited by Fun CH on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fun CH

It's all yours Alf

Post by Fun CH »

See WSDOT for notices.

Relevant material in the thread move to here.

https://pasayten.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=246

I left the rest of it up for entertainment purposes only. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Fun CH on Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.