Methow Trails places signs at Early Winters

Fun CH

Re: Methow Trails places signs at Early Winters

Post by Fun CH »

I have used that trailhead for parking and unloading my machine for decades. I don't use a trailer however and used to place the ramp inside my truck to keep it out of the way.

Often the Hwy is icy so for stable footing the parking lot makes a better platform to prevent falls and give traction for machines.

The FS could have solved this problem by properly locating the new snow park closer to a
developed areas, but choose instead to favor the wants of their corporate partners. They could have sought public comment instead issuing a categorical exclusion which basically says that the snow park at Silver Star is deemed not to be a significant impact. It obviously is.

No Pearl I haven't discussed this with James, nor has he contacted me to discuss this issue. Its clear MT seeks conflict with snowmobilers pitting one user group against another. I wrote this to the WSDOT:

"I have to wonder if methow Trails is purposely trying to create conflict with the snowmobile user group in order to move snowmobile parking up to Silverstar Snow park as a solution to a conflict that they have created."

MT supported that SilverStar sno-park abomination. The FS apparently asked for their input, but not the General Public.

And I won't be taking those signs down. They are on FS property

Depending upon what the WSDOT responce is, I will first ask the Forest Service to have the signs removed since the signs were screwed into public land trees.

If that doesn't work, further legal action may be required following a cease-and-desist request.
Attachments
0201220958a_HDR-1.jpg
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Jack's Trailhead is a serious problem and has been for literally decades now.

So, as a skier, if I arrive early and park conscientiously, and arrive back at the trailhead an hour or two later and find myself blocked in by a Big Rig with a huge trailer.

Who do I even call? Obviously I'll have to ski some distance to get a cell signal and even with that it isn't clear what recourse, if any, I have.

Before you describe this as a hypothetical it has happened to me. Twice.

The snow machine situation is making that trailhead unusable for Nordic Skiers. And there is very limited parking at the Bush School. And Freestone doesn't like skiers using their lot apparently. And the Corral is always super crowded. A bummer all around.

I started skiing here almost 35 years ago now. And the experience in Mazama was always magical. Until now.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
PAL

Post by PAL »

Decades. You are right Chris, for many years snowmobilers did park out along side the highway. But then you cite the complaint and the highway patrol wanting to tow the vehicle. There was no problem with the snowmobilers parking out there. Didn't they enlarge that parking lot, where the trailhead is? I know in the early days, I never saw mobilers park in there as it was tight.
In your one post you said something about taking those signs down. I thought the same thing, but I don't know if you should now that you have admitted it openly. Honestly, I don't like a bunch of signs, especially screwed to trees. Too many rules and we have to have too many signs. I digress. I don't have a problem with the mobilers parking there, but there never were that many. I was always impressed that they left the machines all in a line up there and they trusted no one would mess with them.
Now, there are more and more people around using that trailhead. Jacks and the Freestone don't want people parking over there. Secret. We park at Basecamp.
Have you talked to James? You can email him or talk directly to him. I wouldn't think MT would have exclusive "rights".
Who put in the new toilet? Was it MT working with FS? Hey, do you remember when there used to be the shabbiest, grossest sani - can ever out there? Full of garbage one time and I complained to DOT about it.
I can share with the mobilers, especially out there. Now if we could just do something about them in Elbow Coulee.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

MT at it again placing signs at a public parking with the intent of excluding public use.

I sent the following email to the WSDOT to find out if there has been a change use priority that excludes snowmobilers.

"Hello,

Could you tell me if there has been any change in status of the use of the State parking lot at Early Winters referenced in our email.

I ask because Methow Trails has again claimed control of this public parking area and placed 5 or so signs screwed to local trees that say "no trailers allowed".

This of course restricts public access to that parking lot by snowmobile users.

I have to wonder if methow Trails is purposely trying to create conflict with the snowmobile user group in order to move snowmobile parking up to Silverstar Snow park as a solution to a conflict that they have created.

It's clear that the snow Park at Silverstar was not placed in the correct location by the Forest Service. This location was supported by both Methow Trails and the Commercial guide service and unfortunately a decision made that was not open to public comment.

Closing the Hwy also gives us more snowmobile recreational opportunities.

Placing a city like parking area at Silverstar does make it easier for the local Guide Service to make money up there as the that SS parking area moves commercially permitted skiing areas closer, however many consider it to be an abomination. This is supposed to be a Scenic Highway, not one that resembles a Disneyland type atmosphere parking area.

This parking lot at Silverstar intrudes on critical winter time Wildlife corridors. The Forest Service should have known better.

They also placed the SS Snow park west of an active Avalanche path that has already slid down to the highway and now because of Wild fire, that path is at increased risk for Avalanche hazard.

I support the WSDOT's decision to close Hwy 20 up to Silverstar when critical resources are needed elsewhere in order to keep Valley roadways safe for school buses and the general public.

Thank you for keeping our roads safe to travel."
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Because of the confusion created by those signs, folks with trailers and snowmobiles on their trucks have been parking along HWY 20 just after the road closed sign.

The result has been a complaint filed with law enforcement resulting in a friend having their truck marked as an abandoned vehicle by the police.

If that vehicle had not been removed within 24 hours it would have been towed. The closure point starts after the snow berm so that section of Highway behind the closed sign is still considered to be active Highway and all rules apply.

I said before that I can't blame the residents who live along Castle Road which intersects Highway 20 where we park, for not wanting the congestion near their access even though we've been parking there for decades.

I sought further clarification from the WSDOT concerning Methow Trails trying to assert their authority over that parking lot and the rumor that they pay for the plowing to the State.

Here is the reply.

"Well, the rumor is just a rumor. Methow Trails does not pay us to plow or have any purview over any WSDOT right of way. People can park there is they wish, but not camp/loiter."

So contrary to the Methow Trails sign, trucks with trailers are allowed to park in the State owned parking lot.

If the State chooses to place signs concerning "no camping" or "no loitering" (I agree) that's their prerogative to do so.

I will be taking those unauthorized signs down and delivering them to the Methow Trails office.

Good to have the facts and thanks to the WSDOT for providing a place to park that doesn't require a fee.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Public land... Public free to use... Folks need to learn to get along and play nice together... :-)
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Several people have commented about those signs to me. If Methow Trails does not have authority over that lot, placing those exclusionary signs simply serves to create conflict between user groups and invites nasty notes left on trucks.

I asked the WSDOT who owns and controls that lot and the answer appears to be the WSDOT and not Methow Trails.

Received this email quote in responce to that inquiry.

"To answer your questions, we do own that parking lot that you described, as well as most of the property around the shed and we plow that area.
Lauren Loebsack, Communications Manager"
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

My understanding is that Methow Trails plows that lot (or rather pays for the plowing) and has an agreement with DOT and that snowmobilers parking in that lot are in violation of that agreement and trespassing.

I also recall that for some reason that agreement broke down at the start of the 2011-2012 ski season and it wasn't until after the first of the year that the lot was again open to anyone.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

So why is Methow Trails creating conflict at a public parking lot on State owned land?

Are those signs an attempt to create conflict in order to further the commercial agenda of a full time Silver Star Snowpark?
Fun CH

Methow Trails places signs at Early Winters

Post by Fun CH »

Last year I parked at the Early Winters parking lot that is adjacent to the state-owned sand shed used by the WSDOT.

I off loaded my snowmobile from my truck via a ramp and travelled up the hwy to go back country skiing.

Later I returned to my truck and found a note on my truck windshield stating that I was taking up multiple spaces ( I wasn't) and that the parking lot was for cross-country skiers only and I should park somewhere else.

This year, Methow Trails put up some signs stating no trailers and no overnight camping in an obvious attempt to exclude snowmobile use and parking in that lot.

Here are the facts.

While the actual trail head cross country ski departure point and toilet are on Forest Service land, the parking lot is owned by the State of Washington and the WSDOT plows that parking lot.

The public is free to use that parking lot, owned by the public and plowed with public tax money.

I wonder if that would be a good place for the Early Winters snow Park?

Perhaps xc skiers who don't desire to share the area with snowmobiles, should consider parking at Jack's Hut or other nearby parking areas to access that trail area.

Note, I don't enjoy the snowmobile smoke either and mostly arrive early to avoid that smoke.

But I also don't appreciate nasty notes left on my truck by disgruntled cross-country skiers or MethowTrails placing exclusionary signs in a State owned public parking lot.