Re: new jobs for right wing vaccine refusers

mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Mickey M. wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:09 am ...
That chart only defines conditions for two people. I think its meant to convey a positive message about the effectiveness of N95 masks.
I suppose that would be reassuring if I was only in the presence of exactly one other person whose infection status was always known to me.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

How do you collect good data for a problem like this?

You run into several problems right away.

One is that the dimensionality of what you are studying is large, so there are lots of combinations and possibilities. You are going to be extrapolating from a tiny subset of the possible universe of observations. In the end the best you can hope for is that you chose a good subset.

Another is that some of the things you need to know to collect good data is hard to know. For example, it is hard to know precisely if someone has covid, unless you test them all right there before letting them into the room. And I suspect that you'll produce huge bias into your answers if you do something like test everyone before they can be a part of your observations.

Still another problem. Your dimensions might not be independent! How does wearing or not wearing a mask impact whether or not you are carrying covid?

This stuff is never easy and requires real work by smart people.

mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Mickey M. wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:04 am ...
The chart below may help releave your fears. If the person in the room is infected without wearing a mask and you are wearing a n95 masks you have 2.5 hours exposure time before you risk contracting covid. If you are vaccinated and have the booster chances are very good that you will not become severely ill.
So how would those numbers change if, say, you were in a room with 100 people not wearing masks? Would that mean you have an average of 1.5 minutes before becoming infected?

These numbers get complicated fast and let's face it, humans are extremely bad at this kind of math.