Human Caused Problem via Dogs

Fun CH

Re: Human Caused Problem via Dogs

Post by Fun CH »

The Oracle says:

"Dog poop is more than just a gross and unsightly mess — it's an environmental pollutant and a human health hazard. When left on the ground, waste eventually breaks down and washes into the water supply, polluting our rivers, streams, creeks and other local waterways."
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
PAL

Post by PAL »

It might be fine if the dogs went off into the woods or people were to "fling" it far off into the woods if in the wilderness. And if people would fling it far. Maybe there aren't as many dogs being taken into the wilderness either. But as we've seen, yes, those people on the heavily used trails need to take some responsibility. Here is that link again.

https://www.doodycalls.com/articles/blo ... azard-on-/

It would be an interesting study in my vast spare time, to compare how harmful dog poo is in comparision to wild animal poo. I think the dog poo would win out.
Pearl Cherrington
realoldtimer

Post by realoldtimer »

Not just a valley problem - podcast on Backpacking Light about Public Lands Stewardship about folks bagging their dog's poo and leaving it hanging or laying along wilderness trails.

I can understand the need to deal with the poo along heavily-used trails, visitor sites, etc. but out in the wilderness doesn't it make more sense to move the stuff way off the trail to decompise along with wild animal leavings?

Funny how excited folks get about 'scat' - "Ooh, look at the ________ 'scat'!" And how livid they get when encountering doggie doo.

Back whenI was guiding, a member of our group got upset about a leaving, started ranting about people not cleaning up after their dogs, then got excited when I explained it was coyote 'scat. -- and took pictures of it.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

maremare wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:45 am So, take a step back all, are you contributing to this BS & uber entitled attitude? It's just a damn shame.
the entitled folks don't know that they are acting like they are "entitled" or understand the true impact of that entitlement behavior.

Its just normal behavior to them.

While that behavior has always been here since the first Whites occupied land in this Valley, it is more noticeable now as Valley population increases.
maremare

Post by maremare »

I always notice the little poo bags on the side of trails up at Patterson & yesterday, three lovely pink bags of joy right on the edge of the road waiting for the poo bag fairy to come retrieve them. hmm why not skip the plastic bag if you are just going to leave the bags sitting there?
Then I went to fish hatchery yesterday, & holy crap! Dog sh** from large dogs EVERYWHERE! More than I have ever seen there, & I go there at least 3 times a week. Mostly I dont' care if a dog craps in the woods or off the trail, like where they gona go? But come on if your dog craps on the pavement or the parking lot & there are sh** bags & a receptacle to dispose of it, like wtf? Do you enjoy dog sh** everywhere you want to walk that is not the trail?
The valley is now full of careless ignoramuses' that's a fact Jack, it is not the same place I moved to 30 yrs ago. Even my friend who drives for UPS who has lived around these parts her whole life, says it's become one of the rudest places to work! (Methow Valley) So, take a step back all, are you contributing to this BS & uber entitled attitude? It's just a damn shame.
PAL

Post by PAL »

That tag is a great incentive. Whenever I am at the trailhead people are on their best behavior. One guy was so responsible he did pick up his dogs poo in the parking lot! I commended him. I think if no one is at the trailhead, people will try to get away with what they can. Well, not all. But as much poo as there was...it was collecting all season however!
The other thing I see, is that people tie the bag to a branch, so that they don't have to carry "it" with them. Then they "forget" that they hung it there.
Somehow the message needs to get out.
Agree about approaching unleashed, out of control dogs. I've had some near misses and Howard has had one jump on him.
It is not the dogs fault and I hate to wave my poles at them. I don't want to hit them at all, but I don't want to get hurt falling either.
I like to think most of the dog owners on those trails are responsible, but I've come across some that aren't.
Some people will say, well, don't go there. That is a huge swath of the trail system that I feel like I can't go to safely. We haven't been this year, as conditions are tricky now. But more and more I don't want to see all the poop.
I suppose going at the beginning of the season wouldn't be as bad.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Well said Pearl. I'm was dog owner for many years may be again.

I wasn't crazy about the idea of dog trails. You mention one very good reason.The other is skiing downhill when approaching one or several dogs. Never know how they are going to react to you by aggressive behavior or running in front of you.

However dogs need exercise in the winter also.

Funny how the owners are able not to see their dogs poo in the the parking.

If you see 'em walk away from a pile, do you pull the tickets or hold on to the pass for awhile?

In the National Parks they give out these "Bark Ranger" tags when owners are seen being responsible with dogs on a leash or poo pick up.
0210221658_HDR.jpg
PAL

Human Caused Problem via Dogs

Post by PAL »

Did you know? I didn't. Please read the following.

https://www.doodycalls.com/articles/blo ... azard-on-/

The reason I am posting this is because I do trailhead duty to earn my ski pass at various trailheads in the Methow Trails system. What I am seeing at the 2 main dog friendly trailheads is a plethora of dog doo. People are pretty good at picking it up off the classic tracks and platforms. However, at the beginning of the trail heads, around the kiosks, it is a mess. And also along side the road where people park. Ah and what's wrong with it in the parking area? People walk in the lot to get to the ski trails. Now with the melting it is getting worse.
People want dogs on the trail, but they really have to take responsibility if they want this to be available to them. It does not make a very good impression to people from out of the valley skiing at these beautiful places. These have almost become "sacrifice" zones and that is a shame.
Yes, I have raised the issue with Methow Trails and they know about it. I don't know if more signage is a solution. Signs are already up.
This is why cities and towns have instituted ordinances to pick up this waste. And yes, there are violators for sure.
One solution is to have no dogs on the trails, like it used to be. What a ruckus would be raised of the minority of dog owners using these trails were to have that imposed on them. Dog owners I know, don't care for dogs on the trails.
I just want to raise awareness of a possible health issue. If the people that don't pick up the waste consider themselves environmentalist leaning, then they better do a re-evaluation.
I said to stay tuned.
Pearl Cherrington