COVID - Use Your Own Due Diligence!!!

Fun CH

Re: COVID - Use Your Own Due Diligence!!!

Post by Fun CH »

Rideback wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:32 pm This was just the first source that popped up in Google, there were over 100,000 results
https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj-2021-066768
that link is for over all changes in life expectancy as a result of Covid 19.

In the U.S. overall life expectancy has statistically gone down around -2.5 years for men the year of that study.

"No evidence was found of a change in life expectancy in Denmark, Iceland, and South Korea."

That's not quite what David stated.
mister_coffee wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:05 pm It is very well understood that every time you are infected with COVID it is taking years off of your life.

That study doesn't mean every time a man contracts Covid 19 in the US, that takes 2.5 years off that mans life. Lots a variables to consider.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/why ... 0in%202021.

Life expectancy studies:

"It's important to remember that these estimates represent average life expectancies based on hundreds of thousands of people. They're accurate for the populations they represent, but they aren't terribly accurate for a particular individual. For each of us, lifespan is affected by additional factors, including health habits, disease, and genes"

"COVID-19, drug overdoses, and accidental injury accounted for about two-thirds of the decline in life expectancy, according to the 2022 report. Other reasons included heart and liver disease and suicides.

The drop in life expectancy would have been even greater if not for a bit of good news: decreases in deaths from chronic lung disease, pneumonia, influenza, and Alzheimer's disease."
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

This was just the first source that popped up in Google, there were over 100,000 results
https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj-2021-066768
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

mister_coffee wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:05 pm It is very well understood that every time you are infected with COVID it is taking years off of your life.
source please.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

It is very well understood that every time you are infected with COVID it is taking years off of your life. Even if you know you are going to eventually die, it just seems to be that you are throwing away your life and years of your life that might be well spent if you choose not to take reasonable precautions.

I also have to wonder how you'd react if COVID was ten percent fatal and if you'd make similar calculations. I doubt it. So my question is what is the number where you decide something is not worth worrying about?
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
PAL

Post by PAL »

I have encountered numerous people that are ill and you know what, I am not. Yes, I still choose to wear my mask. They did not. Thus, it is spread. You know what they say, Jingles, if it were common there would be more sense.
But think about if you want to feel sick for 8-10 days and then have a low grade fever that won't go away, due to Covid.
For years people have gone out and about sick, because maybe they don't have sick leave, or they don't give a rip, so people have to be told, to stay home. Even then they don't.
So that is why masking is important to me in crowded situations or in an itty bitty post office.
Yes, I'll leave the world dead, and I want to enjoy it while here. I don't want to get this Covid, due to the possible long term effects. They have found that it can be caught again and again and it doesn't help your immunity much.
Pearl Cherrington
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

No I am not confused about the difference between avoidable and unavoidable deaths what I see and say is it doesn't matter what precautions you take, what activities you choose to avoid or undertake you're still not going to keep from leaving this world dead, so might as well enjoy what you can while you can, what a MAJOR problem in today's society is people have lost the ability to use common sense, i.e. they are sick be it a cold, the flu or any other communicable disease and they don't have the common sense to keep their sick a$$e$ home. They have to resort to some government official telling them you can't go out. A large portion of people have been dumbed down to the point of being unable to think for themselves
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

You are obviously confused about the differences between an avoidable and unavoidable risk.

I guarantee that you would not use that logic if you were given the chance to do an activity with a 1 percent risk of death. I can't see anyone using that argument with a straight face and going BASE Jumping (0.36 percent chance of death), or mountaineering the Himalaya (1.2 percent chance of death), or climbing Mount Everest (3.4 percent chance of death).

So if you are choosing to embrace a 1 percent chance of death you are basically doing an activity that most people consider seriously deranged.

One thing I learned about the pandemic is how destructive people like you can be. If there is ever any situation where we need to cooperate and work together to survive I now know, pretty easily, who I can be absolutely certain will not be reliable or trustworthy enough to depend upon. I guess I should thank you.

Another thing I learned is that when (not if) we have another pandemic with even a modestly higher fatality rate, our society will in all probability cease to function. Again largely because of people like you who will invent any excuse not to cooperate to ensure our mutual survival.

I find it ironic that in most pre-pandemic "pandemic catastrophe fiction" it was right-wingers who cooperated and organized effectively to survive, while liberals basically became extinct. What we saw in practice in the real world was that it was the exact opposite, if fortunately at a more modest scale. Liberal counties had COVID death rates that were a small fraction of what were seen in conservative counties. The numbers aren't lying to you, and as I often say, the kindest and most generous word is "Look". All you need is to just look at the data and it all makes sense.
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

mister_coffee wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:19 pm
Jingles wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:10 am Let's everyone be honest
Masks are a personal protective device designed to protect the person wearing the mask.
That is 100 percent incorrect. Masks also prevent transmission from infected people. That's why if you have tuberculosis a court or public health officer can order you to wear a mask, and if you don't wear the mask you get detained and quarantined. Actually the way the law is written in most states if a public health officer suspects you might have TB they can do all kinds of Darth Vader stuff to you without your consent or agreement, and the legal options you have are fairly limited if you don't wish to comply.

I point this out because I find it hilarious that right-wingers only started screaming about the constitution being violated when it affected them. We've had very hash quarantine and isolation laws on the books since the founding of this country, and only deeply ignorant rubes would get their knickers so twisted up about the fairly modest COVID-19 restrictions.
Jingles wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:10 am ...
Me I choose to live while I can and continue doing what I enjoy rather than live in fear
The way I see it, people are afraid of grizzly bears and sharks, even though they kill a tiny number of people in any given year. We've lost over 1 million people in just under three years, so it is reasonable to be substantially more concerned about COVID-19 than about grizzly bears.

Put another way, if you don't smoke and don't have a major drug problem, chances are the most likely thing to kill you or take years off of your life is a COVID infection. A reasonable adult would take reasonable risk mitigation measures in that situation. You can argue about what "reasonable" might mean, but I doubt that just ignoring the issue and pretending it does not exist is reasonable.

We were damned lucky that COVID only had about a 1 percent fatality rate. If the fatality rate had been five percent or more, I personally suspect we would have been unable to manage at all and our society would have, at least temporarily, ceased to function. And the bodies would be stacked far more than five times higher.
Mr Coffee
So Covid only had a 1 percent fatality rate well here is a undisputable statistic
Being born and living has a 100 percent fatality rate and again if you are that afraid of catching a communicable disease stay in a sanitized environment with negative air pressure at 74 myself and being treated for something I wish on Noone I prefer to live life to it's fullest while I can because I know NO ONE is getting out of here without dying. So you can either live and enjoy life or live in fear of the inevitable.
Also don't you find it rather interesting and ironic that people that have had multiple doses of the vaccine are still contracting the virus, hell just look here locally in the valley at the number of people that have died after receiving the jab and boosters
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Jingles wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:10 am Let's everyone be honest
Masks are a personal protective device designed to protect the person wearing the mask.
That is 100 percent incorrect. Masks also prevent transmission from infected people. That's why if you have tuberculosis a court or public health officer can order you to wear a mask, and if you don't wear the mask you get detained and quarantined. Actually the way the law is written in most states if a public health officer suspects you might have TB they can do all kinds of Darth Vader stuff to you without your consent or agreement, and the legal options you have are fairly limited if you don't wish to comply.

I point this out because I find it hilarious that right-wingers only started screaming about the constitution being violated when it affected them. We've had very hash quarantine and isolation laws on the books since the founding of this country, and only deeply ignorant rubes would get their knickers so twisted up about the fairly modest COVID-19 restrictions.
Jingles wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:10 am ...
Me I choose to live while I can and continue doing what I enjoy rather than live in fear
The way I see it, people are afraid of grizzly bears and sharks, even though they kill a tiny number of people in any given year. We've lost over 1 million people in just under three years, so it is reasonable to be substantially more concerned about COVID-19 than about grizzly bears.

Put another way, if you don't smoke and don't have a major drug problem, chances are the most likely thing to kill you or take years off of your life is a COVID infection. A reasonable adult would take reasonable risk mitigation measures in that situation. You can argue about what "reasonable" might mean, but I doubt that just ignoring the issue and pretending it does not exist is reasonable.

We were damned lucky that COVID only had about a 1 percent fatality rate. If the fatality rate had been five percent or more, I personally suspect we would have been unable to manage at all and our society would have, at least temporarily, ceased to function. And the bodies would be stacked far more than five times higher.
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Let's everyone be honest

All the covid test are only good for negative results until the person tested goes someplace and comes in contact with someone else.

The only sure way to insure you do not become infected is to stay in a sanitized environment with negative air pressure.

And if you are that worried about becoming infected you are not actually enjoying life.

PAL

Post by PAL »

From Wenatchee World Covid site, on Saturday. Okanogan county highest in NC Washington.
359 per 100,000 people.
What a distinction to have!
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

4th booster, we'll get it.
It's coming. We know it. We'll live with it and hopefully not get it.
Yep... At 74 y/o and 67 y/o, we will be getting Pfizer 4th also! :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

Nope, I am I am! In Twisp too. Not really. There are others that are being cautious. Being an older person and my husband too, we don't want to take a chance of getting it and especially losing our taste and smell.
4th booster, we'll get it.
It's coming. We know it. We'll live with it and hopefully not get it. Early and limited shopping.
But we all have a choice now and our reasons. No one should give us any hassle and I won't hassle them. That works.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Yes, we are so screwed. It seems I am the last person wearing a mask in Winthrop...
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

We are sooo unprepared for the next wave of Covid that is already building.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... RGY0ztsBS4
PAL

Post by PAL »

Mickey, yes to your question. Are you referring to Chitta? as in Pat?
Pearl Cherrington
dorankj

Post by dorankj »

Hey Mickey, Disneyland has opened up time to get back to work telling fairy tales to kids.
PAL

Post by PAL »

So, so profound.
Pearl Cherrington
Chitta

Post by Chitta »

That ignorance has already been etched into the tortured flesh of tens of millions, by the people that "care" and want to do "their share". Gulags provide very affordable "housing" and "protect" society.

PS- Slavery and combustion engines were both accepted by democratic society for many, many years to use your "logic".
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

979,055 Americans might disagree with your point of view. If they were still alive. And just calling it pseudoscience doesn't make it so.
Chitta

Post by Chitta »

Until Chicken Little learns something of 20th century history, perhaps he should not be soo eager to demand that his neighbors follow government orders backed by pseudoscience. Public education and MSM have not been your friends, possibly because they have no skin in the game.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

One of the things is shocking to me about the whole last two years was how many people, given access to pretty good information about a threat to their health and often their very lives, chose to ignore that information and engaged in reckless and clueless behavior. And got angry about it when they were called on it.

It is like people were given tasty and nutritious food and decided it was poisonous and they were better off eating sand.

One of the ugly lessons of the pandemic was that even if you give people good information, a lot of them will ignore it. Even when their lives and health are at risk. That doesn't make me very optimistic that we'll do much better (or that our society will even survive) when the next pandemic comes along.

I hear there is a big bird flu outbreak back east, with major culls to commercial flocks required in Indiana and Kentucky.
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

It's important in making one's own decisions to understand the framing of modern day governing, of where the structure of our democracy borrowed its ideas, its policies and certainly the spirit of our Constitution. One of the most powerful theories which is accepted here and worldwide is the concept of a 'social contract'. It is the core mechanism of our society and this link describes it and how it relates to individual response to Covid19.
https://lens.monash.edu/@politics-socie ... l-contract
or this

https://cic.nyu.edu/sites/default/files ... y_2021.pdf
pasayten

COVID - Use Your Own Due Diligence!!!

Post by pasayten »

The Covid 19 pandemic has generated volumes of "information" and "opinions" on social media and newscasts. Many "experts"... some real doctors and scientists... and some claiming to be... fill the internet with both valid and false information. Use your due diligence... verify references and qualifications... then make your informed decisions for what is best for YOU, and if you are a compassionate person, also take consideration for your fellow man.
pasayten
Ray Peterson