Not Very Exciting-Lost Google Bookmarks

PAL

Re: Not Very Exciting-Lost Google Bookmarks

Post by PAL »

Thought I would look it up. I am not totally opposed to technology but I know technology will not "save" us. I am grateful for the grid, what makes my car function(do I miss the ole carburators, probably not) and just like I did now, I looked up the meaning of Luddite, just to be sure. So, the internet comes in handy for information. The fire info this last year was great on the evil Facebook and best on this BB. Technology helps in so many ways. But there are several books out about it where it ultimately won't.

"What is a Luddite today?"
“Luddite” is now a blanket term used to describe people who dislike new technology, but its origins date back to an early 19th-century labor movement that railed against the ways that mechanized manufactures and their unskilled laborers undermined the skilled craftsmen of the day.
Pearl Cherrington
Gonzo'57

Post by Gonzo'57 »

Pal,

Luddite. What a GREAT reference! Wouldn't it be a simpler world if more of humanity were Luddites.

On a side note: How many people know what Luddite means? Not being a vocabulary snob, but I wonder.
PAL

Post by PAL »

I decided not to do the Cloud, for various reasons. What happens if something happens to it? I don't have a smart phone or laptop nor do I want them. We can't get reception up here on a cell phone, so we decided against a smart phone.
We've got a wonderful old flip phone and we will need to upgrade. But only use it for calls. I don't want to carry a phone around for the news. But I will say they are a great camera!
You may wonder how we function if we go on a vacay(what's that?) and stay connected. Most motels have computers to use, so that is how we plug in. Easy to log on and I'm usually looking for weather reports, trail reports, some emails. There probably will come a time when motels won't have the computers available, as so many people have devices.
We are tempted to get a tablet, mainly because good ole printed maps are harder to find, if we need to route find. So may go there. Ah, what a luddite I am!
Thanks for the tips. In a way, it feels kind of good now, to have "lost" all that info. I do regret losing some great recipes I have saved. Otherwise, I am building my library back.
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

We have a One Drive account on the cloud... Everything goes there... We have over 47,000 pics on there from all our digital cameras, cell phones, and old scanned photos... It is wonderfull being able to always access anything from anywhere... :-)
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

Tried that. History doesn't go back far enough it seems. So, as I had written down alot of names and video links, I am just starting over and plugging them in and putting them in Bookmarks again. It's surprising what I can remember. Also, learned that I should export my bookmarks to an html, which is what I have done. Since my Seagate backup doesn't want to add things automatically, I will add manually. So will have a backup to the backup. Seagate was another problem but not going there right now. I figure if I have to evacuate again, fire, whatever, I'll just take the whole damn tower! It's not that big.
Pearl
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Can you go to your browsing history and ressurect them?
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

I tried this one too and nothing. I think they are gone. Or on the hard drive.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Pearl
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Worth a shot...
Chrome's bookmark manager has an undo option. To undo deleting a bookmark in the bookmark manager, press Ctrl+Z. Even if you don't have the bookmark manager open when you deleted the bookmark, you can press Ctrl+Shift+O to open it and then use Ctrl+Z to undo deleting a bookmark.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

PAL wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:20 pm Maybe I didn't need all that stuff anyway!
Thanks.
Pearl
how often do you use them?
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
PAL

Not Very Exciting-Lost Google Bookmarks

Post by PAL »

I accidently deleted all my Google bookmarks. I have looked up on how to restore and nothing has worked, mostly because I don't know what I am doing. The only thing I haven't tried is to download a program that restores these Bookmarks that are on the hard drive. I am leery of doing that, since it's hard for me to make sure the download is legit.
Does anyone know how to do this? I've tried Debra Green but no answer so far. She's my go to gal for computer problems.
I did read not to keep opening Google to look stuff up, so now I am using the dreaded Microsoft Edge.
I realize they may be gone. Maybe I didn't need all that stuff anyway!
Thanks.
Pearl
Pearl Cherrington