Thoughts on Squatters

PAL

Re: Thoughts on Squatters

Post by PAL »

We really don't know the story at all.We don't know that they are in need. Well, they must need housing. But sounds like they are not following the owners wishes. The owners are observing some kind of behavior they don't like and it is their property that may be being abused. Again we don't really know.
Depends on the drugs. Caffeine probably won't cause people to act strange if that is what the acting is.
Meth, on the other hand, watch out. But we don't know what kinds of drugs are being used and abused.
I too, was surprised they let that go on as long as it did. Another one was taken down recently involving Forest Service lights and suggestions of what the people could do. The ice rink was mention and it went down pronto.
A lot of hypocrasy goes on doesn't it?
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Kind of surprised that MNBB would host such a topic. Basically we're hearing one side of the story where people are openly trashing poor people and seemly what to mix up a batch of tar and feathers and run them and their kind out of town.

Drug users, yea who doesn't use them? I start my day with a big hit of caffeine.

So ok to trash people in need but not ok to advocate for limiting commercial use helicopter ski impacts on our formally pristine North Cascade Mountains.

Got it.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Post by salsalady » Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:14 pm

Do they have any legal lease or rental agreement?

Think outside the box. Another recent post could be an inspiration. Put up some high powered spotlights focused on all the windows. There are any number of things that can be done to make the site unfavorable.

Good luck.
Salsalady
pasayten
Ray Peterson
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Post by Lupinelover » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:54 am

Do what some big city businesses do. Install a speaker that they can’t get to and play loud really obnoxious music 24/7 til they leave.” Baby shark” is played……its running thru your head right now…..and “Raining Tacos”….don’t know that one.
SAC
pasayten
Ray Peterson
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Post by Mobarika » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:09 pm

You have to go through evictions proceedings. Takes about three months. If they do not leave, then you can take them to court and then have them physically removed. I had to go through this years ago. Sucks. Americans need to start a petition to stop the madness with squatters. They are nothing but thieves when they go onto someone's property or home and claim it as their own. Squatters should have no rights to do such nonsense. Good luck to you my friend.

Rebecca in Carlton
pasayten
Ray Peterson
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Noticed that some of the reply posts were gone now... only 9 left... selective removal or original posters deleted them.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

Oops missed that. Can't text from the house. Oh well. It was originally posted on the Methownet board and Ray brought it here.
If you post on a public forum it's public. He said texts would be nice.
Last edited by PAL on Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pearl Cherrington
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

The interesting thing here is that the original poster asked for comments via text not public advise.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Post by moose » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:54 am

Perhaps start raising pigs
Joe Frey
pasayten
Ray Peterson
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

PAL wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:52 am Is it illegal for them to move the people's possessions off the property? Or I would think that would be up to the Sheriff. But it sounds like Star E would need the 3 day eviction notice or the longer one for that to happen. And if Star E are feeling threatened, unless the people were gone, they probably would not want to do anything. Get about 100 of your best friends to visit?
What a dilemna. And is anything in writing about them living there?
Good luck with this.
It is illegal to move or impound a tenant's possessions ( https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=59.18.230 ).
If they don't have a rental agreement and have never paid rent, then you can have them removed ( https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.52.115 ). It isn't clear to me if local law enforcement is willing to enforce those requests, though.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

My thoughts on checking for warrants was more of exposure to law enforcement checking on them, if you will, harasssing them. I'm sure the Sheriff has better things to do, but a general awareness of one 'crime' these folks seem comfortable committing often translates into a lifestyle of crime.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Is it illegal for them to move the people's possessions off the property? Or I would think that would be up to the Sheriff. But it sounds like Star E would need the 3 day eviction notice or the longer one for that to happen. And if Star E are feeling threatened, unless the people were gone, they probably would not want to do anything. Get about 100 of your best friends to visit?
What a dilemna. And is anything in writing about them living there?
Good luck with this.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Rideback wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:31 am I hope someone has run a background check on the squatters, sure would be convenient to find they had outstanding warrants that they could be arrested for.
Unless it is a felony warrant, the odds are basically zero. Even with a felony the odds might not be very good unless it was a violent crime.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

I hope someone has run a background check on the squatters, sure would be convenient to find they had outstanding warrants that they could be arrested for. Likewise to report a broken tail light on their vehicle, an unlicensed dog in their yard, unpaid bills...
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Post by mr_coffee » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:20 am

StarzONtharz wrote:
> There is no 3 Day Eviction in our state.

From 59.12.030, Paragraph 5:

(5) When he or she commits or permits waste upon the demised premises, or when he or she sets up or carries on thereon any unlawful business, or when he or she erects, suffers, permits, or maintains on or about the premises any nuisance, and remains in possession after the service (in manner in RCW 59.12.040 provided) upon him or her of three days' notice to quit;
David Bonn
pasayten
Ray Peterson
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Post by TheGlobetrouter » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:08 pm

Hunter,
Have you tried playing Nickleback at high volume during the day while they’re trying to sleep? I’d try that while sitting in my rocking chair with a 45 in my lap, eating an apple outside their place. Just a thought. Sorry you’re dealing with this. Good luck to you sir.

Post by StarzONtharz » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:07 pm

I am dismayed at some of tge suggestions being posted. Evictions are not complicated. There is a set process and tge informstion for rights, duties and responsibilutes are clearly laid out you Staree Ranch can locate this at the Washington State Landlord Tenant's Union. You do have to folliw due process, serving proper notice etc. There is no 3 Day Eviction in our state. You will have to go court. If these people are doing drugs, committing waste and nuisance call the Okanogan County Sheriff and report it every time. If you are comfortable representing yourself in court you dont need a lawyer, but there are fees.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Post by melbrumer » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:51 am

This is probably not the right/moral approach, but I wonder if, since the laws are complicated and take a lawyer to discern the nuances, the squatters probably don't understand those nuances themselves. I just wonder if you could create some kind of legitimate-looking document that says they have to leave within 24 hours and if they don't then power will be cut, and then make it uncomfortable for them to stay by cutting off power or something? If you don't have the money to take this case to court, I highly doubt they do either.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
pasayten

Thoughts on Squatters

Post by pasayten »

Interesting thread from methownet board... Too bad Alf left the Board... He would have had a lot to say....
Thoughts on Squatters

Post by Star E Ranch » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:29 pm

Hi Methow Valley Family,

I am impressed with the people of our valley. As a newbies here, we appreciate the family-like community presence, the willingness of others to lend a hand, and the collective efforts of enhancing the beauty of the valley.

With our recent move here to our house (mid-November) we reached out to the community regarding space for trade or rent. We have some outbuildings, i.e., a shop, RV pad, etc. that were unoccupied and so we wanted to offer space to those who need it.

Unfortunately, the people who came into our RV spot are squatters, drug users, and have repeatedly trashed the area. We have asked them repeatedly to leave without success. We contacted the Okanogan County Sheriff's department who told us to go to the court. We went to the court who told us we need a lawyer, we spoke with an attorney who said to pay the squatters to leave, we have read up on WA laws and give our best faith effort to follow the laws for landlord-tenant obligations and responsibilities.

We feel very unsafe with the squatters on our property who have continued to do drugs, to trash the property, and there seems to be no clear answer on how to restore our property to a safe place for our family and neighborhood.

Does anyone have any suggestions (please be kind) or people who might be able to help address this issue? I am open to learning from you, especially if you have had any similar experiences.

Thank you in advance,
Hunter 505-608-9576 (text is great)
Star E Ranch
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by biggi » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:51 am

I really have no advice or legal background but just wanted to let you know that I feel for you. I know it is hard to get "tenants" out; the burden seems to be too slanted towards the landlord while I believe it should be a balance of rights and responsibilities on both ends. Stay strong, and I hope someone can help you more than I can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by TRanch25 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:38 am

First I am so sorry you are going through this...out of the goodness of your hearts to help, you are being robbed and taken advantage of. My heart goes out to you.
As valley landlords of a humble cabin and little home the last 10 years we too have such a heart to extend housing in a community with a huge need for it.
We always do an extended interview with very specific questions in place as well as a back ground check (which that question alone weeds out most "bad apples") that really gives us an idea of who we are allowing in our home and property as well as at least 2-3 references. Then finally before moving in we all sign a rental agreement drawn up by our lawyers which give plenty of "outs" for both parties if it doesn't work out. With that we find it has saved us to date.
That all being said, I would recommend you folks listen to your lawyer and cut your losses as you probably are on a long legal road of actual eviction or get a second and third opinion.
Hopefully you have quick resolution to this and are able to offer housing to so many good folks here in this amazing valley.
I encourage you at the end of this that it really is a wonderful and rewarding experience!
I have a name and number of a good lawyer if you would like.
Sincerely Bethann McKittrick

Post by norchabus » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:13 am

Recommend contacting Twisp Police Chief, Paul Budrow. Speaking with him myself, and through heresay, he's more the type to stand by and to help the victim, not the criminal, and you are the victims here.
The 'cut your losses' scenario does not sit well with me, the current trend of immorality being perpetrated by hate-filled thugs, enabled by civilians doing nothing , and many law enforcement, is causing our civil society to unravel. When we as a people allow criminals to steal, burn, trash our home space and squat on our home, we spread their power, and if these creeps walk free, they'll spread through the MV.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by mr_coffee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:20 pm

Sorry you are in this mess.

My first advice is to talk to a good lawyer who knows about this space.

Also I'd note that law enforcement officers, county officials, and even judges aren't exactly familiar with all of the ins and outs of the law here. So again you need to find that good lawyer.

A couple of things:

1. Sometimes you might not be able to evict the person whose name is on the lease, but you can sometimes evict subtenants for much less effort. That might be almost as good depending on your situation.

2. Take a look at RCW 9A.52.115 . If your squatters don't have a rental agreement or lease and aren't paying you anything that might apply.

3. If they are committing crimes on your property you have more rights and there is an expedited path for evicting (I think it is three days).

4. Expect this to cost you money.

I am not a lawyer. Hire one and listen to what they have to say.
David Bonn

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by Star E Ranch » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:58 pm

biggi wrote:
> I really have no advice or legal background but just wanted to let you know
> that I feel for you. I know it is hard to get "tenants" out; the
> burden seems to be too slanted towards the landlord while I believe it
> should be a balance of rights and responsibilities on both ends. Stay
> strong, and I hope someone can help you more than I can.

Thanks biggi - this is a real learning experience for us. The ability for our community members to coexist usually depends on goodwill and caring. When someone works the system to their advantage, it can be difficult, to say the least. Your comment is appreciated and we are hoping for this experience to end soon and well.
Star E Ranch

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by Star E Ranch » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:03 pm

TRanch25 wrote:
> First I am so sorry you are going through this...out of the goodness of
> your hearts to help, you are being robbed and taken advantage of. My heart
> goes out to you.
> As valley landlords of a humble cabin and little home the last 10 years we
> too have such a heart to extend housing in a community with a huge need for
> it.
> We always do an extended interview with very specific questions in place as
> well as a back ground check (which that question alone weeds out most
> "bad apples") that really gives us an idea of who we are allowing
> in our home and property as well as at least 2-3 references. Then finally
> before moving in we all sign a rental agreement drawn up by our lawyers
> which give plenty of "outs" for both parties if it doesn't work
> out. With that we find it has saved us to date.
> That all being said, I would recommend you folks listen to your lawyer and
> cut your losses as you probably are on a long legal road of actual eviction
> or get a second and third opinion.
> Hopefully you have quick resolution to this and are able to offer housing
> to so many good folks here in this amazing valley.
> I encourage you at the end of this that it really is a wonderful and
> rewarding experience!
> I have a name and number of a good lawyer if you would like.
> Sincerely Bethann McKittrick

Bethann, thank you for sharing your experiences. Before moving to the valley, I heard space was difficult to find, hence, the posts about our buildings being available for use. Your vetting process is practical and something I learned from. It would be wonderful if there was honesty and trust with everyone we interact with, but, blind trust can be exploited. I would like the name of a good lawyer, please contact me at 505-608-8576, text works best. - Hunter
Star E Ranch

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by Star E Ranch » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:09 pm

norchabus wrote:
> Recommend contacting Twisp Police Chief, Paul Budrow. Speaking with him
> myself, and through heresay, he's more the type to stand by and to help
> the victim, not the criminal, and you are the victims here.
> The 'cut your losses' scenario does not sit well with me, the current trend
> of immorality being perpetrated by hate-filled thugs, enabled by civilians
> doing nothing , and many law enforcement, is causing our civil society to
> unravel. When we as a people allow criminals to steal, burn, trash our
> home space and squat on our home, we spread their power, and if these
> creeps walk free, they'll spread through the MV.

nochabus, I will contact the Police Chief and see what he says. I do live just south of the city so I know jurisdiction will be important. Thanks for your advice. - Hunter
Star E Ranch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by Star E Ranch » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:24 pm

mr_coffee wrote:
> Sorry you are in this mess.
>
> My first advice is to talk to a good lawyer who knows about this space.
>
> Also I'd note that law enforcement officers, county officials, and even
> judges aren't exactly familiar with all of the ins and outs of the law
> here. So again you need to find that good lawyer.
>
> A couple of things:
>
> 1. Sometimes you might not be able to evict the person whose name is on the
> lease, but you can sometimes evict subtenants for much less effort. That
> might be almost as good depending on your situation.
>
> 2. Take a look at RCW 9A.52.115 . If your squatters don't have a rental
> agreement or lease and aren't paying you anything that might apply.
>
> 3. If they are committing crimes on your property you have more rights and
> there is an expedited path for evicting (I think it is three days).
>
> 4. Expect this to cost you money.
>
> I am not a lawyer. Hire one and listen to what they have to say.

Mr_coffee - your time is much appreciated, taking time to share your thoughts and knowledge. I never thought I would spend so much time and resources asking someone to leave the property. The people in question have been had multiple opportunities to leave. The main development has been that one told me they are leaving, but, the other person is staying. I hope that this last person will leave this week, but the legal process is in process. One thing I have learned is that the court will not provide the paperwork in order to submit a unlawful detainer or writ of restitution like they did pre-eviction moratorium. The three day eviction paperwork we served them did not generate any action on their part. There is so much I am learning from this process. Thanks all the community members who are responding and caring for a newbie to the valley. - Hunter
Star E Ranch
pasayten
Ray Peterson