Riverwalk

PAL

Re: Riverwalk

Post by PAL »

The piping would work. This shows you how much I pay attention when I am in Winthrop. Does the ditch still go through town? At the far end there was a little footbridge and then it ran under the Duck Brand porch. That would have been a liability it would seem. If it's not an active ditch, then the point is mute.
Or if the walking path goes by or in amongst houses people don't want to give up their privacy. I see their point.
Pearl Cherrington
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Yeah I know the Foghorn Ditch folks are against it... Can't blame them with the liability issues of somebody falling in the ditch and getting hurt/drown with our litigious sue everybody society... Kid's would be attracted to to the ditch also... Not a good playground... Maybe the town should pay for piping and burying it.
pasayten
Ray Peterson
PAL

Post by PAL »

Well, the city founders and those continuing, did not think past the bridge, that there would be businesses out there, evidently. No provisions were made for pedestrians. From the new pedestrian bridge people can walk on that, cross White Ave. then continue on, but it is a distance to cover.
The center of Winthrop shopping area is pedestrian friendly but out side of that, it is not.
So it's not a good situation. We motorists have to give the people walking along the road some slack and be very careful.
No solution, it seems.
Pearl Cherrington
Mark58

Post by Mark58 »

The Susie Stephens trail was supposed to go past the Thriftway to the Post Office. Blocked by Property owners and Foghorn ditch owners. One of these days someone is gonna buy it walking on the road. But hey, should tourists and residents be able to WALK to the grocery store safely?
PAL

Post by PAL »

I don't know for sure. It could be the businesses whose backside is in need of TLC. Some owners want the Westernization to extend to the backsides, something some owners may not want to spend money on.
Is there a trail proposed from the bridge by the river, going on out to Thriftway? After bridge now, it is a very tight walking corridor.
Pearl Cherrington
Mark58

Riverwalk

Post by Mark58 »

An article in the MVN says that the Riverwalk trail is all but dead, being held up by half a dozen businesses. Anyone know which businesses those are?