The South Creek Trail has been blocked

Fun CH

Re: The South Creek Trail has been blocked

Post by Fun CH »

Sounds to me like the landowner is enforcing property rights, and using that issue to gain more rights (right of way).It is their right to attempt that. So yea, its a property right issue.

No need for the public to be upset. Just support the construction of a trail bypass spur and move on.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

I don't think this whole dispute has a single thing to do with private property rights.

The property owner is question is closing off trail access as a negotiating tactic to get the USFS to allow him to move heavy equipment through designated wilderness to his property (this would involve building a road in designated wilderness). The property owner hopes that the ensuing public outcry about the trail closure will get the USFS to "compromise".

Trail users are just collateral damage.
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

Looks like the FS could build a new trail to the south of that private property to bypass the closure. That's a fairly simple solution.

I do support a private land owners right to close public access. Lots of pages at the methownet BB screaming to take those rights away (didn't read all of it but enough to get the gist of it ). I guess that attitude works until some government body wants to take part of your land.

I should also add that some land owners close off public access because of abuses by the public to the private land. And some landowners close off public land access for the benefit of wildlife which is consistent with many of the government wildlife agencies goals to mitigate the impact of human presence.

And Alf if you're listening this issue has nothing to do with rural gentrification.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

by alvin » Wed May 19, 2021 7:45 pm

I talked with the assessors office the other day and the property in question is Parcel #9934190010. It will not show up if you do a map search, but will if you search by parcel number. It will indicate the owners name, address, limited ownership history and taxes paid.

https://okanoganwa-taxsifter.publicacce ... 0&typeID=1

JOHNSON, JEANNE
239 ENGLAR ST A12
WINTHROP WA 98862

Sale Date Sales Document # Parcels Excise # Grantor Grantee Price
12/03/18 3231213 1 120883 ESTATE OF FRANK & DOROTHY JOHNSON JOHNSON, JEANNE $0
pasayten
Ray Peterson
pasayten

The South Creek Trail has been blocked

Post by pasayten »

The South Creek Trail near Twisp/Chelan Sawtooth area has been blocked 2.5 miles up from the trailhead by a private landowner.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 910658.pdf

There is also a game camera at the closure site. Other posts say the land may be owned/managed by a Methow Valley group/family.

Voice your displeasure to the USFS: 509-996-4000.
Maybe we will get a re-route or work something out with the land owner.
pasayten
Ray Peterson