Fact Checking the Methownet BB

Fun CH

Re: Fact Checking the Methownet BB

Post by Fun CH »

:D k
alfrandell wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:50 pm oooops,
sorry,
this is chris's thread for making fun of one person after another.
we should not be draggin it off to the side.
Mark Twain ~ "Better to remain silent & thought a fool than to open one's mouth & remove all doubt."
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding--Nick Lowe
Can't talk to a man who don't want to understand--Carol King
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

"She turned me into a newt!"

"A newt?"

"It got better."
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

The whole thing about anti-vaxx misinformation reminds me of this famous Monty Python scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_l5ntikaU
pasayten

Post by pasayten »

Post is still there... I responded...

Gonzo'57 wrote:
> mnRNA alters your DNA. Read the science. And the folks advocating for the
> vaccines and disparaging those of us who WILL NOT get the jab are the same
> folks that decried GMO wheat being used in their Corn Flakes. Follow the
> science.

Sorry John... You must be reading fiction or fake news articles... Not real science articles... BTW, is mRNA...

Will a COVID-19 vaccine alter my DNA?

No. COVID-19 vaccines do not change or interact with your DNA in any way. Both mRNA and viral vector COVID-19 vaccines deliver instructions (genetic material) to our cells to start building protection against the virus that causes COVID-19. However, the material never enters the nucleus of the cell, which is where our DNA is kept.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... facts.html
Ray Peterson - Winthrop
pasayten@yahoo.com
pasayten
Ray Peterson
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

There was a thread (now deleted) where gonzo57 claimed that "mnRNA vaccines damage your DNA" or some such nonsense.

Fun fact: mRNA vaccines do not and can not alter your DNA. But viruses do so all the time. You have trillions of viruses sloshing around your body at any given time. It is nearly certain that at any given time somewhere in your body some of those viruses are altering the DNA of some of your cells. Oh, the horror! About 8 percent of the human genome's DNA (meaning your DNA) is from viruses. Ick.

Uncivilized savages from the dark heart of Africa and the marches of central Asia (and apparently from the Apple Capital of the World and the Buckle in the Power Belt of Washington) believe idiotic things, such as that lifesaving medicine alters your DNA. I'm more impressed with stupid theories about COVID vaccines (e.g. that there are tentacle creatures in the vaccines). While still wrong, they are at least entertaining. If you are going to kill so many people and rip apart my society, at least have the courtesy to not bore me to death at the same time.

Correction: this thread has not (yet!) been deleted.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

alfrandell wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:27 am chris,
i love irony.
i found some when you were extra pro mask last winter,
but pro total freedom now.

you were not suggesting that each person choose to mask or not to mask on the community ski trail.
[it was already like that]
you were pretty adamant about everyone wearing one.

I was adamant that everyone wear masks on the ski trails where required according to the mandate , such as at the crowed trailheads or flipping one up when encountering other people and distance could not be maintained.

I was also pointing out that even left wingers were not following those mask mandates or group size requirements although much of the angst was directed towards the people on the right. And yes, sports program participants were required to wear masks at that time.

Wearing a mask in public areas is different then rounding people up and forcing a medical treatment on them such as a vaccine.

I believe it is also an employers right to require a vaccine. Employee's right to bodily autonomy is protected because they still have a choice of not getting the vaccine and in many cases can choose weekly testing or seek exemptions.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

The claim seems to be not to endanger others by taking the appropriate medication.

"Instead of holding the jail responsible for keeping the rest of us (and you and your children) safe from your fiancés dangerous and harmful behavior, how about holding him responsible for apparently doing nothing to treat his mental illness? What happens when he hurts someone or one of your children? Who are you going to hold responsible then? Better not look in the mirror.
John Okoneski - Wenatchee/Mazama"

The facts:

No facts here just an opinion "mirror". Correct me if I'm mistaken but isn't this a vocal anti-mask, anti-vax guy telling someone else to take medications in order to keep others safe? If so, a bit ironic don't you think?
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

alfrandell wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:43 am i am not picking fights.
this thread is a long fight that you are having with a number of people.
i do not look down on it.
it is recreational.
you are correct on many points.
the weakness is that you use anecdotal evidence to refute claims.
My only fight here is misinformation from questionable sources and which I have quoted expert sources to refute. So not antidotal evidence.

The problem with using your own words in a field that a person has very little, education, expertise and experience is that what is presented is often not factual.

I'm not a virologist or epidemiologist or respiratory expert so that's why I quote their research and data.
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

alfrandell wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:24 am
it is cool to fact check. but, keep in mind that you were too avid to remain on the other bb.
you do use what you call facts, but they are used as battering rams and they make people feel very bad. very bad!
i know what a delightful sport it is.
but, moderate yourself if possible
If facts bother someone who is deliberately and willfully posting misinformation, that's not my problem.

You seem to be posting on any thread today looking to pick a fight.

Perhaps you should follow your own advice?
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

The Claim;

"I am done with the stats. Every time we relax about the covid they say another variant comes out to keep everyone worried. Its a hoax. Done with it. The science is bull***. There was 30,000 at omak stampede last night wonder how many they say will have covid now? Again, 105 degrees, outside, it’s all a joke. Glad to see all these events going on. Seahawks preseason games is sold out. 63,000 let’s see how many they say have covid after that? It’s toral bukkshit. Screw science and facts.
Todd miles
Mazama"

The Facts;

Obviously facts aren't going to convince Todd so here's a story that may from someone from his peer group of simular thinkers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53892856

"Man who believed virus was hoax loses wife to Covid-19"

Deadly conspiracy theories
Erin, a pastor in Florida, had existing health problems - she suffered from asthma and a sleeping disorder.

Her husband explained that the couple did not follow health guidance at the start of the pandemic because of the false claims they had seen online.

Brian continued to work as a taxi driver and to collect his wife's medicine without observing social distancing rules or wearing a mask.

They had also failed to seek help as soon as possible when they fell ill in May and were both subsequently diagnosed with Covid-19.

Brian told BBC News that he "wished [he'd] listened from the beginning" and hoped his wife would forgive him.

"This is a real virus that affects people differently. I can't change the past. I can only live in today and make better choices for the future," Brian explained.

"She's no longer suffering, but in peace. I go through times missing her, but I know she's in a better place."

'This thing is real'
Brian said he and his wife didn't have one firm belief about Covid-19. Instead, they switched between thinking the virus was a hoax, linked to 5G technology, or a real, but mild ailment. They came across these theories on Facebook.

"We thought the government was using it to distract us," Brian explained, "or it was to do with 5G."

But after the couple fell ill with the virus in May, Brian took to Facebook in a viral post to explain that he'd been misled by what he'd seen online about the virus.

"If you have to go out please use wisdom and don't be foolish like I was so the same thing won't happen to you like it happened to me and my wife," he wrote."
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

The claim;

Jeff Bezos may be rich, but his riches are primarily in company stock (control of the company) and you cannot tax that.

Maybe the solution is to teach people basic economics?

Sergey Solyanik
Benson Creek

The Facts:

Sergey is correct that under the current tax code held stock is not taxable. However, Congress has the power to change the tax code so yes, the value of held stock could become taxable.

Maybe the solution is to teach people basic civics?
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

The Claim:
Post by Todd123 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:35 pm
"There is a wildfire going on there is no reason why everybody needs to be out mountain biking, hiking, driving all over Mazama loss river anywhere they can get around And playing lookee Lou."

The facts:

"Regular physical activity can improve your muscle strength and boost your endurance. Exercise delivers oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and helps your cardiovascular system work more efficiently. And when your heart and lung health improve, you have more energy to tackle daily chores."

"https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... t-20048389

OP commentary;

When the stay home order for covid 19 was in effect, seeking exercise was excluded from that order. Governmental authority realizes the health benefits of exercise, especially for immune system health, anxiety and stress levels which are certainly being taxed during this fire season.

It is not healthy to exercise in Smoky conditions especially for the elderly. People are naturally going to be seeking out clean air in the valley while still being able to be close enough to keep an eye on their homes.

What makes Todd's post especially troubling is it comes from someone who is allegedly an anti masker and anti-vaxer who admittedly doesn't follow safe public Health protocols to protect others from a potentially deadly disease during a deadly pandemic. In other words, Todd's concern for public safety seems disingenuous.

I'm guessing he doesn't desire to have people sharing his Mazama clean air. But we have to remember that Mazama is a sanctuary City and all are welcome.

Mazama and lost river are currently under a level 2 evacuation notice and we all own land there. I'm certain that people who are exercising are more than aware that they need to be ready to leave at a moment's notice.

Fortunately, we do not live in a granny state. People in our country, especially us hardy rural folk, are allowed to make their own risk assessments based upon observational information. Information such as weather conditions, forecasts, wind direction and multitude of other factors that affect our exposure to risk.

As far as looky-loos are concerned, it's more than natural for people to observe a hazard in order to develop a plan to mitigate that risk. This is called situational awareness.

"Why is situational awareness important to you? Situational awareness is important to everyone – it is important that everyone is aware of their surroundings and the potential hazards they face. It is important that each individual is looking out for his or her own safety." .
Situational awareness - HSE
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

The Claim:

"Post by Todd123 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:33 pm

Can’t believe people still wear masks? One day you all realize you been played since day 1. But good ahead and wear a surgical mask, N95, rubber gloves,boots, painters suit, gas mask, and a ball gag so the variant won’t get you. While I will wear nothing, go to events, not social distance and live a normal life. Enjoy your sheep jail.
Todd miles
Mazama" End Quote

The Facts:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7253999/

" A total of 21 studies met our inclusion criteria. Meta-analyses suggest that mask use provided a significant protective effect (OR = 0.35 and 95% CI = 0.24–0.51). Use of masks by healthcare workers (HCWs) and non-healthcare workers (Non-HCWs) can reduce the risk of respiratory virus infection by 80% (OR = 0.20, 95% CI = 0.11–0.37) and 47% (OR = 0.53, 95% CI = 0.36–0.79). The protective effect of wearing masks in Asia (OR = 0.31) appeared to be higher than that of Western countries (OR = 0.45). Masks had a protective effect against influenza viruses (OR = 0.55), SARS (OR = 0.26), and SARS-CoV-2 (OR = 0.04). In the subgroups based on different study designs, protective effects of wearing mask were significant in cluster randomized trials and observational studies.

Conclusions
This study adds additional evidence of the enhanced protective value of masks, we stress that the use masks serve as an adjunctive method regarding the COVID-19 outbreak"

OP commentary:

Todd's misformed opinion also contains an element of ridicule directed towards those who are "carrying the water" for communities throughout the United States by wearing masks prior to availability of safe and effective vaccines.

With the spread of the new Delta variant of the Novel Coronavirus, many experts are recommending the continued wearing of masks in crowds, even for persons who have received the covid vaccination. See previous post.

So why do some members of our community feel the need to ridicule others online?

Conclusions based upon human psychology research:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... g-ridicule

"When we ridicule something, we demote it, pointing out its ridiculousness. In the process, we elevate ourselves in relationship to it. Ridicule accentuates or exaggerates the difference between us and them. It’s an uniter and divider. It unites us in elevated status (what I’ll call “we glee,” the glee of being we). It divides us from a united them in demoted status. Put-downs—they put someone down while lifting the ridiculer up. Burns demote someone, elevating the burner in the process. Ridicule is a power move."
Fun CH

Post by Fun CH »

The Claim; July 23, 2021

"delta slithers past the vaccination, and gets around masks well too.
we should be careful.
Alf Randell" End Quote

The Facts; New England Journal of Medicine

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2108891

"RESULTS
Effectiveness after one dose of vaccine (BNT162b2 or ChAdOx1 nCoV-19) was notably lower among persons with the delta variant (30.7%; 95% confidence interval [CI], 25.2 to 35.7) than among those with the alpha variant (48.7%; 95% CI, 45.5 to 51.7); the results were similar for both vaccines. With the BNT162b2 vaccine, the effectiveness of two doses was 93.7% (95% CI, 91.6 to 95.3) among persons with the alpha variant and 88.0% (95% CI, 85.3 to 90.1) among those with the delta variant. With the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine, the effectiveness of two doses was 74.5% (95% CI, 68.4 to 79.4) among persons with the alpha variant and 67.0% (95% CI, 61.3 to 71.8) among those with the delta variant.

CONCLUSIONS
Only modest differences in vaccine effectiveness were noted with the delta variant as compared with the alpha variant after the receipt of two vaccine doses. Absolute differences in vaccine effectiveness were more marked after the receipt of the first dose. This finding would support efforts to maximize vaccine uptake with two doses among vulnerable populations. (Funded by Public Health England.)"

Opinion based upon fact

https://www.prevention.com/health/a3707 ... infection/

"The people you surround yourself with also matters. “If you’re the only unvaccinated person in a place filled with vaccinated people, the risk to you will be much lower, even if you don’t wear a mask,” Dr. Adalja says.

If you are fully vaccinated, Dr. Adalja says that you should still feel protected against the Delta variant. Remember: Even if you do happen to get COVID-19 as a vaccinated person, the job of the vaccine is to prevent a serious illness and keep you out of the hospital."

"That said, it never hurts to mask up in public places if you want to be more cautious. “I prefer to avoid exposure to the virus so I do not need to depend on my vaccine, so I wear a mask in crowds or during times of potential exposure,” says David Cennimo, M.D., an associate professor of medicine, adult and pediatric infectious diseases, at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. “I do believe it is safer to wear a mask in crowds—times when you cannot maintain adequate distance—because I do not want to chance getting infected.”

OP commentary;

I could not find any evidence that masks are not effective against the Delta variant. Of course it depends on the type of mask. A properly fitted N95 respirator (mask) would be the good choice for both Smoke and Virus protection. A single cloth layer bandana not very effective in either case.
Fun CH

Fact Checking the Methownet BB

Post by Fun CH »

The Claim July 22 2021

"Florida,Texas and Missouri What is the common thread?
number four is Arkansas
Bruce Herron Wolf Creek" End quote

The Facts July 20, 2021

"White House officials said this week that Florida is now accounting for about 20 percent of all new cases in the country.

Texas is second with 21,884 new cases this past week, about 9,000 more than the previous week.

Missouri is now in third place with 14,540 new cases, about 4,000 more than the previous week.

California is in fourth place with 11,598 new cases, about 1,000 more than the previous week.

Arizona has moved into fifth place with 6,809 new cases, with Louisiana sixth at 6,793 new cases."

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... creasing-2