Gas tax increase next month

PAL

Re: Gas tax increase next month

Post by PAL »

It is disheartening to see that Vern, I know. Is the housing market another bubble? Like David says it remains to be seen. It does make it hard for those that have lived here for years to see this happen.
Way of the world it seems.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Jingles wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:30 am ... anymore than everyone that lives in the valley lives in million dollar homes.
I don't know. Based on real estate sales I've seen here in the last year if you have a modest (2 or 3 bedroom) home on a 10 acre lot your home probably will sell for darned near a million dollars. It remains to be seen if that is the peak of a frothy market or the wave of the future. It could go either way in my opinion...
:arrow: David Bonn :idea:
Rideback

Post by Rideback »

The price of gas has been on the decline since last August. Price of oil itself has dropped from a high of $140 a barrel down to mid $70's. The issues that China has now may push that upwards some, but we'll just have to see. This morning's trip to Thriftway the checker told me that after the last snow storm their weekly delivery was cancelled and the store manager was told that in order to get their delivery they'd have to pay a surcharge of $1,500. Gouging much?

I notice that inflation has dropped and now there are more items on sale (because we all know that once the grocery stores mark up their products they don't ever come back down). Supply chains have come round and demand for items like furniture and electronics has tapered off.

Russia's war in Ukraine is still playing havoc with the price of fossil fuels globally. The EV market is still trending upwards which means there's less and less demand for gas so the Oil markets will be compensating for the lesser demands by keeping the price up.

The one thing we can count on is that climate change is happening and it is going to cost all of us.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Prices have gone up on things, and yes, people that don't have the money to spend won't come possibly. But look at all the people flying in record numbers all over the country.
I work at a retail shop in Winthrop and sales are great.
Ok, Jingles, I am sorry but I think the reduction in tourists coming here is not going to affect the Valley economy.
David, "Forest Circus" I like.
Pearl Cherrington
just-jim

Post by just-jim »

Tax increase is .46 cents.

Seattle-ish area to Winthrop round trip is 480 miles.
Most cars and small SUVs are getting 30++ mpg.
That’s 16 gallons at .46.
Totals $7.36…..that won’t even get you 1/2 a hamburger (or a tofu one).
If there are 2 people in the car that’s the not even price of a cheap beer, each.

No one will ever even notice that.
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Even a used Ford F250 (from 2018) runs about $50k.

Even the dumpy motels here are pushing $100 per night. I note that when I first came over here in the winter over thirty years ago I camped at Early Winters campground. In subzero weather. After two remarkably cold nights and having a pile of frozen clothes in the back of my Volkswagen, I broke down and stayed at the Sportsman in Twisp: for $19 per night.

Forest Circus campgrounds are about $20-$25 per night.

Stuff is damned expensive these days.
Last edited by mister_coffee on Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Guess we'll have to wait and see but not everyone that visits the valley is diving a 70,000 dollar SUV or diesel pickup or stays in $380.00 hotel rooms anymore than everyone that lives in the valley lives in million dollar homes. I talking about the average Joe that would plan a family weekend or day trip to see what all the hoopla is about in regards to Winthrop being a "western town", or even the hunters and fishers that add to the economy during the respective seasons
Sorry Pearl but I fail to see where the original post had any form of a sneering remark simply stated that it COULD have a detrimental effect on the overall economy of the valley that depends on tourism.
PAL

Post by PAL »

Really, the touristas are still going to come. There's no stopping them, as much as you would like to see that "industry" fail with your sneering remark, Jingles.
Pearl Cherrington
mister_coffee

Post by mister_coffee »

Okay, a $.49 gas tax increase probably adds $10 to the pump price for a tank of gas.

People driving from the Seattleopolis probably take about a tank of gas to get here on the average, so call it two tanks and a $20 premium for the round trip.

So you are claiming that people who own $75000 SUVs and Pickups, who have $900 skis, $1000 ski outfits, and $20,000 snowmobiles and stay at hotels and rentals that easily push $200 per night aren't going to come here because of an extra $20? Help me out here.

I note that Sun Mountain Lodge runs about $380 per night unless you are getting a deal. Which you won't during top vacation periods.
Jingles

Gas tax increase next month

Post by Jingles »

Funny how we don’t hear anything about this on the news ?

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=how+m ... tsrc=apple

This doubling the tax on a gallon of gas could very well cause a reduction in the number of tourist that this valley depends on for business survival.