Bulletin Board Community Development Discussion

pasayten

Re: Bulletin Board Community Development Discussion

Post by pasayten »

Our Present, Our Future
Post by rockchuck » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:05 pm

I expect that this post will be taken down. When it is, that's kind of my point.

Blocking comment to a thread about Dr. Jennifer Sherman's important book "Dividing Paradise" is certainly within the rights of the owners of this bulletin board.

I agree with the Bulletin Board's admonition "don't be a snarky troll." I also believe that blocking discussion is very bad for our community's well-being and future.

I am a community development professional. I spent my career as a planner and policy analyst. Public policy and community development depends on a robust discussion of ideas, even if they are hard to accept and don't comport with our view of the world.

Yes, there will be many uncomfortable and inappropriate comments made. That will be unfortunate, not unexpected, but completely necessary to figuring out where we want to go as a community.

The Methow Valley community is at a crossroads. We have an opportunity to avoid some of the issues that have plagued many western amenity communities.

Suppressing discussion will not make a better community. Moderating discussion will. Please let the discussion go forward.

Respectfully,

Steve

Post by connieburke » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:14 pm

This board is provided at no charge by a private company. They have every right to moderate it and maintain it as they see fit.

You're welcome to create your own board with whatever rules you deem appropriate. Or join the other community board already available with much less moderation (you can find it through Google).
Connie Burke - Twisp
Post by karlukkid » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:21 pm

The issue of gentrification affects many aspects of our lives here. I agree with this post, the issue needs to be discussed and faced. In Sun Valley, workers who live out of town are bused daily 30 or 40 miles and back to provide services for the visitors. Is that what we are becoming? Bruce Herron Wolf Creek
Bruce Herron Wolf Creek
Post by Reapward » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:57 pm

Good title for a public discussion to be held in a large space. Or the Town Councils allow 3 minutes at the beginning of each meeting for public comment, unless there is a touchy subject in their agenda.
So a number of people could comment and it would go in the minutes.
But no discussion would happen.
People can also ask to get on the agenda if they have a request of the town. At least way back when, people could do that. Might not be able to now as they are so busy.
Pearl Cherrington
Post by Solstice » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:12 am

Excellent post, Steve. It deserves to stay up as long as replies stay civil and tuned into Methownet's rules. I intend to read Jennifer Sherman's book, especially since it focuses on where I live.

Your post mentioned "western amenity communities"—a term I wasn't familiar with but certainly apples—and came across a report entitled, "The Amenity Trap: How high-amenity communities can avoid being loved to death," published by Headwater's Economics. In reading it's intro, some of the premises jump out in the titles of it's four sections:

—Housing availability and affordability are uniquely challenging in amenity communities

—Infrastructure planning should meet the unique needs of amenity communities

—Fiscal policy in amenity communities can spread the burden among residents and visitors

—Amenity communities are uniquely vulnerable to increasing natural disasters

These topics sure sound familiar...
Jim Brennan
pasayten
Ray Peterson
SOulman

Bulletin Board Community Development Discussion

Post by SOulman »

I posted the following to the MethowNet bulletin board at 5:05 p.m. on Friday. We'll see how long it stays up.

I expect that this post will be taken down. When it is, that's kind of my point.

Blocking comment to a thread about Dr. Jennifer Sherman's important book "Dividing Paradise" is certainly within the rights of the owners of this bulletin board.

I agree with the Bulletin Board's admonition "don't be a snarky troll." I also believe that blocking discussion is very bad for our community's well-being and future.

I am a community development professional. I spent my career as a planner and policy analyst. Public policy and community development depends on a robust discussion of ideas, even if they are hard to accept and don't comport with our view of the world.

Yes, there will be many uncomfortable and inappropriate comments made. That will be unfortunate, not unexpected, but completely necessary to figuring out where we want to go as a community.

The Methow Valley community is at a crossroads. We have an opportunity to avoid some of the issues that have plagued many western amenity communities.

Suppressing discussion will not make a better community. Moderating discussion will. Please let the discussion go forward.

Respectfully,

Steve Oulman